CHAPTER 16

1 – Final

"Oi, evil old lady. Are you going home now?"

It was almost midnight already. It would cause a big ruckus if they stayed out overnight without telling anyone, so they made to leave after saying their goodbyes to the old woman who ran the orphanage. But, that's when they heard that cheeky sounding voice calling out to Camilla, who was following Alois out the door.

"Who are you calling old!?"

Camilla turned around with a frown, snapping at whoever said that.

At the end of the hallway was Rolf, who seemed to be upset with something as he pouted. That dark blonde hair of his seemed to glow with the light of the candlestick that illuminated the hallway. Even the flame seemed to dance in his eyes as he glared.

"You, you're that woman from the rumours, right? Is it true that you bullied the girl the Prince loves?"

"Haa?"

"And is it true that you had to marry Lord Alois as punishment?"

"You really believe such rumours? They're all lies, lies!"

-Rather, they're mostly lies. But, this will only get more complicated if I mention that 'this and that are mostly true'.

As Camilla said that, Rolf grinned at her.

"Yeah, you must be right about that? The rumours said you were really clever, that you even deceived the King and the Prince with sweetness. But you're stupid, dense and you can only say mean things!"

"Are you making fun of me!?"

Camilla bristled at the insults suddenly being thrown at her as she was leaving. Rolf's words stung at those feelings of hers that were still raw.

"Ahh, the evil old lady got mad! She'll spread bad rumours about me!"

"I will not do such a thing! Y-You naughty boy!"

Thinking to smack him on the head, Camilla reached out for Rolf. However, Rolf managed to elude her hands as he kept smirking at her like a fool.

"You really are mean aren't ya? You don't suit Alois at all, huh?"

As he linked his fingers behind his head, Rolf laughed Camilla tried to reach out and grab the cheeks of that cocky boy.

As she did, though, a cool breeze blew in from the open door, the cold wind sweeping up the hair of that bad kid.

"......So, y'know, if Alois decides he doesn't like you anymore, you can just come back here again... Since you're such an evil old lady, it's obvious that people will hate you someday, right!?"

After saying that, Rolf flattened down his windswept hair with his hands.

"Later!", he shouted, then disappeared into the depths of the house.

The next morning.

There was a rumour going around amongst the servants that Alois brought Camilla back alone in the middle of the night.

Along with those rumours, there were also the whisperings of the disturbance that caused the whole scene yesterday itself.

That villainess from the newspapers had made a maid cry her eyes out, then after throwing a wild temper tantrum had rushed out blindly into the town, she then got herself into trouble in the midst of the nightlife and had to be brought back by the Master himself... That was the kind of gossip going around.

It was a story that had acquired legs and a new pair of shoes. Somehow, it seemed like a familiar situation.

-Nothing at all has changed since yesterday...!