"...But, that was just an accident? There was nothing you could have done."

"It was my own power that caused it. My power that took their lives. Even if I didn't mean to, it doesn't change the fact that I caused both of their deaths."

That was the reason why none of the senior servants referred to Alois as 'Master'. To them, Alois' father was still the Master of the house.

For stealing away the Master they loved and respected, they never forgave Alois. That attitude only made Alois fall deeper into guilt.

"But...!"

"The last vivid memory I have is when this power of mine tore through them. Because it was my power. The moment it came into contact with them, it was as if I touched them myself, and they died instantly. I still remember the feeling in my fingertips, as if I had ripped them apart with my own hands."

Alois' eyes narrowed as he looked back down at those clenched hands. That smile was still on his face, but it didn't have a shred of warmth. He was speaking about the past, but to him, it didn't feel like it. Even after eight years, it was still something he carried with him every day.

"Since then, my magic power remained sealed. I'm sure that the magic my mother and father died casting will stay with me forever. Even now, I can still feel their magic in my body. So that I won't ever be able to forget."

Although Camilla had tried to interject, to tell him that it wasn't his fault, Alois didn't care to listen. Even though it was only a tragic accident, Alois bore the guilt of a murderer.

As they sank into silence, Alois' expression didn't change. Sitting back further in his chair, he still stared at his hands, unmoving. Even though he was finally telling her something secret, instead of letting Camilla into his heart, it was as if he were putting up more walls around himself.

– He's strong.

Camilla knew how she would react if she were in Alois' position. If Camilla had to go through something like that, either she would drown in that guilt or try to justify herself, saying that 'I didn't do anything wrong'.

But, that gravely serious man didn't allow himself those escapes. There was nothing I could do. It was an accident. I didn't do anything wrong. He wouldn't flee from what had happened by saying things like that.

He refused to be comforted, refused to be forgiven, and kept everyone else at arm's length. He would carry that burden himself, and suffer under it alone.

'Ah...', Camilla thought to herself. 'I understand now.'

– He is trying to atone.

That personality of his, that was so quick to martyr himself for the sake of others... this is where it came from. All he wanted to do was be a 'good lord', without desires or greed.

All of it, surely, was part of some kind of atonement to his mother and father.

– But, is that truly it?

There was something strange in the way that Alois had confessed.

Despite telling her this, somehow it felt like he was only pushing Camilla further away. There was still something in his heart that he didn't want her to know about.

Just what weighed on his mind that was even more dreadful than this? Something he truly couldn't tell anyone?

"Camilla."

Camilla's thoughts were broken when Alois spoke out to her. Leaning forward in his chair, Alois looked at Camilla's face. Camilla was a little confused at his sudden change in attitude.