Arc 4: Chapter 2

"Y/n."

You abruptly woke up when someone called your name.

When you opened your eyes, the teacher was staring daggers at you and the other classmates were laughing from the sidelines.

"Yes, ma'am?" You asked while rubbing your eyes.

Your vision was a bit blur at first since you just woke up.

There must be something she needed you for or else she wouldn't call you out.

"Please answer this problem here." She pointed at the board.

The subject was math. In the board, you noticed that a Logarithmic Equation was written and a problem was provided.

But only after a few minutes of thinking, you already got the answer. After all, it was an easy problem.... for you.

"Please answer verbally." The teacher challenged you in a mocking tone.

You caught Carter's gaze and he was grinning at you. Alex was sleeping and Julian behind you only chuckled.

Your other classmates' gazes also felt something else.

It was like they were secretly telling you that you couldn't answer the problem that was provided.

You just averted from their mocking gazes and looked at the teacher. She was just waiting for your reply.

"Alright." You softly replied.

You then started stating your answer.

"Um, Since the problem is how to solve the equation: log x - log(x2 - 1) = - 2 log(x - 1), you need to use the log rule log A - Log B = log (A/B) to rewrite the left side of the equation as one term and the rule n log(x) = log(xn) to rewrite the right side as the log of a power.

log (x/(x2 - 1)) = log (x - 1)-2

Function log(x) being a one to one function, we can write

x / (x2 - 1) = (x - 1)-2

Multiply all terms of the above equation by (x - 1)2 and simplify

(x - 1)2 (x /(x2 - 1)) = (x - 1)2 (x - 1)-2
(x - 1)2 (x /(x2 - 1)) = 1

Expand (x - 1)2 and (x2 - 1)) and simplify

x(x - 1)(x - 1) / ((x + 1)(x - 1)) = 1
x(x - 1) / (x + 1) = 1

Multiply both sides of the equation by x + 1 and simplify. So,

x(x - 1) = x + 1
x2 - 2 x - 1 = 0

In the end, there are two solutions which is: x1 = 1 + √ 2 ≈ 2.41 and x2 = 1 - √ 2 ≈ - 0.41." You concluded.

Once you finished answering, the whole class was quiet.

The teacher didn't expect that you'll literally answer it verbally. Answering it while writing is very difficult, how much more if it was answered verbally?

You stated all the facts concisely and clearly. None was missing out.

From saying the answers and solutions, it wasn't a big deal.

"Ahem, thank you Y/n. You may take your seat." She said.

"Thank you, ma'am." You replied as you took your seat.

"Ugh, I hate how she shows off her nerdy side."

"Show off."

"Such a geek."

"It feels like she's mocking us."

Even though they were gossiping in a whispering tone, you just can't help but hear their hateful remarks.

In the end, people always have something to say whatever you do.

You went back to sleep once again waiting for the class to end.

..

After the class ended, some girls gathered around your seat.

"Are you Y/n?" The girl in the center asked.

"..Yes." You answered.

"I knew it! She's the one who's bugging around Carter since middle school!" The one in the right exclaimed.

"Since middle school?"

"We went to the same school. That's why she seemed so familiar."

They were doing the talk and all while you... you had no idea what they were talking about.

You checked your phone and it was almost 6 pm.

You were already late for your work.

You quickly wore your bag and stood up from your seat. "I'm sorry, let's converstaion next time please, I really need to- ack!"

That girl in the center auddenly pulled your hair.

"Huh. This b'tch has the audacity to escape? Let's see if you can escape now.."

She dragged you by the hair while the other two held both of your arms.

They locked you in the restroom and the lights were turned off. There was no window inside and you were like a bird trapped in a box.

"That should teach her a lesson."

"Let's go before someone sees."

"She'll last here tomorrow all filthy and dirty. Let's go girls."

You heard their converasation on the other side of the door.

You don't feel like crying nor asking for help right now. After all, who would help you in the end?

Since you were already late for work, might as well skip it.

Unluckily, the light switch was outside the restroom and the insides were pure darkness.

Everything was quiet.

For you, it was a moment where you had your peace in darkness.

*BANG!*

The door suddenly got knocked down. The lights were turned on and a person walked inside.

"Tsk. I thought I'd be seeing some tears by now." Alex scoffed.

Because of this one action, a lot of questions poured out in your mind.

Why is he here? Why did he do this? Is there something he need in return?

There was no way he did this out of good will.

"...What do you want?" You bluntly asked.

He smirked.

"Now that's a good question."

He walked towards you and held your chin leaving you to look straight at him.

"Be my loyal dog."