Chapter 3: A New World

Start from the beginning

Corporal Christopher McManis is a true old head. He's jumped on dozens of missions, from Operation Husky with Travers, to Operation Varsity with both of us. He's tangoed with the SS' finest: Tigers and panzergrenadiers. In fact, when he dropped on the factory in Essen, he managed to nab a superior weapon like mine. He calls it a mix between a kraut G-43 and a K-98. Whatever it is, it's semi-automatic like an M1, with ten rounds on tap instead of eight, and it can also function like a bolt action in case something breaks. A real piece. And he's also a bit of a pack rat. He carries the biggest backpack I've ever seen, with enough ammunition for an entire battalion. While he seems rough on the outside, I've heard he secretly cares as much as Towne does about his squad's fate. With the experience we're both packing, I had a feeling me and him would get along just fine.

Corporal Richard Reed, is another pack rat. I had to enter him as a rifleman just to get past the quartermaster. Yet, we managed to sneak his B.A.R. and a recoilless rifle into one of his crates. A walking armory, he has the weapons to take on any damn thing he comes across. Word got around that he wanted to be a Ranger and an Airborne. He trained in his youth to pass the Ranger exam, that was his dream. But when he volunteered, he could only choose one MOS, so he chose Airborne. While he's barely in the height restrictions, he looks like he could lift a Stuart all by his lonesome. You could say he's a slightly smaller Goldman, but definitely not by much. He still has dreams and has made it clear he wants to climb the ranks to form the first Airborne Ranger unit. But nonetheless, it's still a dream. A dreamer on my squad with little experience; even if he is good, it's still not the best sign.

Now we have our two Privates. PFC Sammy Rossum is armed similarly to Travers, humping an M1 and rifle grenades. He may be low on the food chain, but he somehow gets away with more than he should. Probably in part because of his relation with Corporal Towne, but I digress. He also served with Travers, as a member of the 82nd before he got transferred over to me. He's totally not looked at like an outsider by everyone else. But so far, he hasn't been hazed or otherwise disturbed to my knowledge. But a rifle is a rifle, and I'm glad to have more hands with me.

Lastly, we have Private Peter "Gosling" Gossing. Another rifle grenadier, but everyone hesitated when I entrusted him with rifle grenades. He's only been through basic training in the states and hasn't even seen another country yet. He hasn't been found out by anyone either, a real rookie wildcard. I just hope he doesn't make stupid decisions that either get himself — or the rest of us — killed.

With the loud drone of the Skytrain's engines, I had to shout to think. It was chilly, but then again, I was sitting adjacent to the leaky door.
At the helm were two of the finest pilots in the entire Army Air Force.

Pilot James "Jimmy" Patterson and his Co "Joe" Jonathan, no last name ever given. They have flown me on dozens of missions, and even survived a couple of crashes at Normandy and Essen. They've got the luck of the devil, same as me. I trust them with my life.

I decided to look out my window. The right side of the skytrain. Ocean, an endless ocean. Something stirred inside me, my thoughts strayed to the worst-case scenario.
What would happen if we were knocked out? What would we do if we had to ditch, here... in the ocean? I mean, we have rafts and enough supplies to last a long while, but how would we get rescued? If we got rescued, and not caught by the Japs. Oh God, the Japs. I've heard they torture American POWs. But I would survive that, I'm strong enough. Ain't I?
"Lieutenant!" I heard a scruffy voice call out to me. I looked back, spotting McManis slouched in his seat, using his rifle to support him. "Stop worrying about shit that's not gonna happen."
I took a look around, nearly all of my squad was asleep, strapped in, yet still guarding their possessions closely.
"You keep worrying, then it's gonna happen! Get some sleep Lieutenant, we still have a couple more hours! I'll keep watch and wake you when we get there!"
I took a moment.
Yeah, I was a bit tired staying awake the entire time. But what about thieves? I know my MKB is a great prize to use or sell.
But I saw in his eyes he was telling the truth.
I have a good feeling about McManis.
I nodded, slouching in my seat myself. I set up my jump bag so I could rest my head on it as a makeshift pillow. Closing my eyes, I let the constant and familiar drone of plane engines lull me to sleep.