Bonus Chapter: Oh Baby!

Start from the beginning

"Baby you have to push." I say, she shakes her head no and looks up at me with those teary eyes.

"No I can't." My chest tightens at her words.

"Listen Veronica," I say in a serious tone. "Once this is all over, we can go home and show little Santiago his new home and how much we love him. Now, push this baby out. Now." I wipe the tear drops from her cheeks and give her a firm nod.

She takes a deep breath and nods her head. She looks down at the doctor and nods once again. "Okay. Push on three."

"1...2...3"

Veronica closes her eyes and begins to push. Her hand squeezes mine tightly and I brush back her hair. And before we know it, the cries of our baby boy are heard around the room.

"Here he is!" One of the nurses unbuttons Veronica's hospital gown and lays little Santiago on her chest. Tears fill up my eyes as I look down at the baby with a head full of hair.

"Hi baby," Veronica whispers and lets out a small laugh. She looks up at me with a happy smile as some tears fall down her cheeks. I lean down and kiss the lips I love and rest my forehead against hers. "I love you so much."

"I love you Veronica."

"He's perfect."

~

We spent a day at the hospital after Santiago was born, his head full of hair is what stands out. He has Veronica's eyes and cute button nose. Mom and Veronica say he has my face shape. He's everything.

Everyone has come to visit us, even Adam and his girlfriend. Little Santiago is finally here and I can't get enough of him.

We're finally home after a long day. Veronica is sitting in the back with Santiago as I park the truck. Looking at the rear view mirror, my heart beats fast as I see the love of my life staring at our son.

Her eyes are barely open but she still manages to show all her love to Santiago. When I get off the truck and open Veronica's door, I see little Santiago sound asleep.

"Let's go inside so you can rest." Vero only nods and grabs my hand. Once she's out of the truck, I grab Santiago's car seat and carefully close the door.

Walking slowly with my hand on Veronica's lower back, we make it to the front door of our apartment. I set the car seat down next to me slowly and open the front door. It's nice being home and finally having our baby here with us.

"Welcome to our little home baby Santiago." I whisper, Veronica's hand places itself on my back.

"We're parents," she whispers and I nod. Turning my head to look down at her, I take notice of all of her lovely features. Leaning down to peck her forehead, I stay there for a second just enjoying the moment.

"I love you Mateo."

"I love you, always."

Right after I finish saying that, Santiago lets out a little cry. Veronica and I smile at each other and I now know that this is the start of a new part in our life.

~

Two Years Later

"Santiago let me change you!" Little Santiago is running around naked, Veronica chases after him with his clothes in his hand.

I never thought at age twenty I would be coming home to my fiancé and son. It's a great feeling, whenever I have a rough day at the shop, Veronica and Santiago always make it better.

"Hey babe," I walk to Veronica who is now just watching Santiago run around the living room. "He's still doing this."

"Yes, and he doesn't listen to me. At all." She leans into my side. Santiago still hasn't noticed I'm here. A bright smile is on his face, his dark hair is falling over his eyes slightly. My boy.