Chapter 16 - The Aftermath

Start from the beginning

"Well she's not my aunt by blood, but she treats us like family and acts as role model, so I just call her my Aunt."

Interesting, I remember her talking about them a couple times when we would hang out. I didn't realize they're this close.

"So you guys really aren't sure where she is?"

They shake their heads 'no.' I curse under my breath, this isn't good, it's getting late and they're going to close the gates soon. I ended up taking them back to our squad's tent so they could rest on the cots instead of the hard ground. We conversed for a little bit, Eren told me what happened to his mom and I felt bad for the kid. Losing a parent at such a young age is terrible, I should know.

When I asked about Mikasa's family she looked away and changed the subject. I was curious because I wanted to learn more about our family, but I decided that conversation was for another time.

About an hour goes by and I could tell the kids were getting anxious. I kept telling them to sleep but they couldn't and I don't really blame them. Bells start sounding and the Garrison soldiers rush to the gate, one of them shouts, "The last refugee boat is here!"

Eren jumps up, "(Y/N) must be on that one! Let's go!" He grabs Mikasa's and I's hand dragging us through the crowd, for a kid he was quite strong. We make it to the front and see people spilling in. Most were civilians, however there were more soldiers this time.

"Eren, do you remember what clothes (Y/N) was wearing? It'll make spotting her easier."

"Ummm, she was wearing a long black sleeved shirt with grey pants I think. And she was wearing this coat but she gave it to us when we boarded the ship." He played with the sleeves and hugged it closer to his body. Now I know why it's big on him, (Y/N) may be short but she's still taller than the kid.

My attention goes back to the survivors and my eyes dart between every person walking by. She has to be here somewhere. My chest started to tighten when I saw the condition these people were in. Almost everyone was covered in a layer of dust, some had bleeding wounds poorly wrapped by bandages, and they all looked more fear stricken than the last batch of refugees.

They must have been the closest to the Titans, and I would guess the whole city is overrun by now, it won't take long for them to reach the walls here.

If I don't see (Y/N) out of this crowd, I'm going to Shiganshina myself, I don't care what Erwin says.

Eren and Mikasa were scanning the crowd as well when all the sudden we heard a disturbance towards the back. It sounded like a man and a women were arguing. The sound of a punch being landed followed by a groan could be heard. Instantly two other Garrison soldiers made their way over to break up the fight.

I started to ignore it and went back to looking for (Y/N) when a familiar loud voice forced my attention back over there.

"Get your hands off me! I don't need medical attention I need to talk to Commander Erwin NOW."

I look down at the two kids, "Follow me, I think that's her." They nod and we make our way through the rest of the crowd and soldiers.

"Ma'am you're hurt and you also just assaulted when of our officers, we can't let you go."

As we get closer the voices get louder, and it's no doubt it's her. I feel like a weight just lifted off my chest.

"That's Captain to you, and I didn't assault Hannes, he just got in the way of my fist when he wouldn't listen to me."

We finally bust through the crowd and I'm met with a very pissed off, and injured, (Y/N) being surrounded by Garrison soldiers. My face fell when I saw her condition. Her once black shirt now seemed almost grey due to the amount of dust on it, she had a bandage wrapped around her head that was already bled through, and her clothes were torn all over the place. The cuts along her pants were bleeding and I could only guess the ones on her shirt were as well. She was wearing a harness and ODM gear, but all her blades were missing.