Chapter 27: A Meeting of Warriors

Zelda and Kass strolled into Goron City, the steam of the lava rising and the sun shining off the large ruby-like gems that sat atop many of the rock-like houses of the Goron. The many deep crevices of the volcano, filled with lava, had been connected with what seemed to be metal bridges. The clanging of pickaxe to ore could be heard in the distance as the air burned Zelda's nostrils and fiery embers filled the air. This was truly Death Mountain.

Zelda looked up towards the volcano, wiping sweat from her brow. There it sat: Divine Beast Vah Rudania. Its face was still wide open as it aimed towards the castle, yet no red beam came from the beast's now protruding tongue. The Hylian nodded, confirming her mission as she turned back towards the city.

"Alright then, best course of action as of now is to check if anyone has noticed anything weird with Vah Rudania," Zelda said, looking up at the tall Rito. Kass nodded with a smile.

"Lead the way, Marin," the birdman said happily. Zelda couldn't help but envy the Rito's cheeriness.

The girl turned her attention back towards the rocky city as she took a deep breath. She usually had Link with her, however she had to do this on her own. She could do this. With a look of determination, she began to take a step forward towards one of the metal bridges only to have her foot run over by a rolling rock.

Zelda's foot seared with pain as she brought it up, sucking air through her teeth as she lost balance, falling to the ground with tears forming in her eyes. The rolling rock suddenly stopped, springing up to reveal a little Goron.

"Sorry 'bout that," the little Goron said before turning to Zelda's rather feathery companion. "Ah! Kass!"

"Hello there, Offrak," Kass said happily, patting the little Goron on the head. The Goron smiled, shaking his head as Kass lifted his wing, his white ponytail shaking along with him.

"Did you come to buy more fireproof elixirs from me?" Offrak asked excitedly, hoping he would be able to sell to a returning customer. However, Kass shook his head.

"Not today, Offrak, though maybe another time. However," the Rito tilted his head towards the Hylian on the ground, now massaging her toes from under her Hylian boots, "...maybe if you watch where you're going, you may have another customer later on."

"R-Right. Again, sorry 'bout that," Offrak said once again towards Zelda. Zelda forced a fake smile as she looked at the little Goron. "You're okay though, yeah?"

"Quite alright," Zelda said, doing her best to contain her frustration. The Goron nodded before contracting back into its little ball and rolling away.

"Welcome, my dear Hylian, to Goron City!" Kass laughed as Zelda stood, wincing as she put pressure on her foot. Zelda gave Kass a look.

"Did you know that would happen?" Zelda asked. The Rito shrugged.

"Not at that very moment, but please believe it has happened to me before. At least you had boots, my talons were caught bare!" he laughed. Zelda frowned before turning away, now cautiously looking both ways before heading across the bridge. The girl looked around the town, her eyes wavering to the many shops located in the center of the village.

"Come stay at the inn! Stay at the Rollin' Inn, rest yer head a bit!" an older Goron called out in front of one inn. Other Gorons called out from their own places while a singular Gerudo woman wandered, seemingly looking around at which shop to head to next.

"If I remember correctly, if things haven't changed in the last hundred years... the boss's house should be just up ahead, right?" Zelda asked, pointing towards the large house with the Goron symbol painted in yellow on top. Kass nodded. The two made their way up towards the large boulder-like house where an even older, more experienced looking Goron stood.