Scene 4 - The Authority

Start from the beginning

Osgood:

So all they want is just to learn and discover more about our solar system. And they might be wanting to come to Earth to communicate with us.

Doctor:

Exactly. No doubt they would want us to come aboard, or for them to come above. What a day it is for mankind. Their first contact with the stars the old fashioned way. They come in their flying saucer and man will be teleported up into their craft. Well, better put the men outside in the picture.

They leave the TARDIS. We see the TARDIS situated against the back wall, as the Doctor and his friends are met by the arrogant Commander smiling with his hands behind his back. Many US Army soldiers point their loaded guns out in front of them. Montgomery stands in the centre of their view, with the many armed men around the circumference from the centre to the TARDIS. Ariel is among the soldiers aiming the gun at the Doctor's and friends, whereas the Colonel stands behind the smug Commander.

Kate:

Commander, what is this?

Commander:

Exercising my authority, Lethbridge Stewart! I am now in supreme command of this operation! Your UNIT forces at Cape Kennedy are now entirely in my hands. Your forces come even close to this establishment, and I have instructed my men to blast them all to smithereens!

Kate:

You are in no position to...

Doctor:

No, no. Kate, let me handle this. Is this just because of your unpleasant manner earlier?

Commander:

We are quick to get off on the wrong foot, Doc. But I am running this outfit, and you are a threat in dealing with the management of the operation.

Bill:

How? We're all here to help?

Commander:

The governments of the world give me full authority to take any action necessary so as long as it's for the benefit of the peoples of the Earth.

Doctor:

Well, I can trust you, this isn't. Looks like I was right, Nardole. You'll just be making matters worse for yourself.

Kate:

This action is highly unnecessary. We were just about to tell you all you need to know about the incoming UFO.

Commander:

In that old fashioned police box? Well, if the nutty Doc uses it to help track that Ufoe, than works for me. And what did you find out? And no smart remarks either. Aren't I the greatest and finest American Commander in all of history?

Colonel:

Yes, Commander Montgomery. You are the greatest and finest American Commander in all history.

Commander:

Oh, boy, I'm blushing so hard.

Doctor:

There isn't much to really blush about in this situation. You need to welcome our visitors with honour because they come in peace. They are unarmed and come looking to learn more about the universe we live in. Hence, they come to Earth and hover above the Earth and will meet the humans in peace. And we should do the same.

Commander:

Nonsense! These aliens are different to us! We should blast them off the face of the universe before they wipe us out! They have no place on this planet! No right!

Doctor:

On my watch, Commander, everything has a right in this universe to live as a free individual being away from suffering and segregation.

Commander:

Then I see that we are on opposite sides then, Doc. It's a pity. I heard so much about you. But you disappoint me.

Doctor:

First off, I am trying to keep very patient, but I now have to remind you my name is not Doc. I hate being called that name. It's so not me in any way. Second, if you know your history, remind me how the concentration camps under Hitler's reign happened? And what was about to happen on more than one occasion when the Silurians and your long-lost ancestors didn't get along?

Commander:

Pah! History! Who cares what happened then?

Doctor:

You human beings never learn from your mistakes, that is why you fight futile wars after wars after wars.

A man at a desk tracking the spaceship interrupts.

Solider:

Sir, the spaceship is now approaching the Earth and is changing to hovering stations.

Ariel:

THANK YOU, PRIVATE!

Commander:

Doc, if that's what must happen to protect this planet, then so be it. But you and your little buddies will do exactly as I say. Because if not, then I will put a bullet in each of their heads.

The Doctor frowns angrily at the Commander...