•C h a p t e r F o r t y - F i v e •

"L-Liam—" I croaked, pushing down on my hands as I attempted to lift myself up from the bed. My arms gave up on me halfway and I collapsed back onto the bed, groaning.

A dull throbbing pain shot up my chest all the way to my collarbone and I bit down on my lower lip hard to prevent another groan.

"Don't do that, please," Liam said, standing up from his chair next to the bed. "Give me one second."

He leaned over the bed, pushing a button and the bed began to incline, until I was able to sit at a comfortable angle. When he was finished, he plopped back down on his chair, running a hand through his hair.

We were in a private room. It was as white as it had seemed when I first opened my eyes, with a window to the side, letting in the bright afternoon sun which I flinched to. The door was shut.

"Y-you're here," I let out a shaky breath, glancing up at him briefly. I combed a finger over a strand of my tangled hair, my eyes focused on the coarse hospital sheets draped over my legs.

"Of course," his mouth twitched up. We sat in silence, and the monotonous beeping of the machines were the only thing that sounded in the room.

"Look Liam, I—" I started but he shook his head.

"We'll talk later, you need to rest," he said, softly. His eyes were red, as were the rims, with dark circles under them. His skin was pale, almost ashen much unlike his usual complexion. Liam looked exhausted and worn out.

I sighed, nodding as I glanced down at myself, scanning the hospital gown I had on. My eyes moved to the cast on my wrist, and the large bandage wrapped over my right arm.

From the corner of my eye, I caught Liam shuffling in his seat, gnawing at his bottom lip.

"How long was I out?" I cleared my throat, my brows furrowing as I broke the thick silence between us.

"Almost two days," he answered, finally meeting my eyes.

Crap. I sighed. I had missed a lot — not just in school. My mind flitted to the dream I had during that time and I shivered, glad that it was just that, a dream.

"And my parents?" I asked, swiping my tongue over my chapped lips.

"Your mom went to the cafeteria with Avery, your brother had left for school. Your dad was called to work for an emergency," he explained all in one breath.

I nodded, letting the information sink in. My temples throbbed from processing too hard.

"Here, you should read this," Liam grunted as he leaned forward to the foot of my bed. A folder appeared in his hand when he sat upright.

He handed it over to me and I took it into my hands gingerly, opening it up.

It was my file. My eyes skimmed over the piece of paper. It took a moment for me to process the words plastered on the page, only for my brain to come up empty.

"I can't understand this," I sighed in disappointment, setting the folder down on my lap. I rubbed my hands over my face. A piercing pain suddenly shot through my temples.

"Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. It's mostly medical terminology," Liam gave me a sheepish smile. "I'll tell you what the doctor told me."

I nodded eagerly, waiting for him to continue.

"You have a concussion, not severe at least, a fractured wrist," he began, eyeing over at the cast. "A broken collarbone and two broken ribs. And some scrapes on your arm."