•C h a p t e r T w e n t y - S i x•

I shoved my binder and textbook into my backpack, zipping it up as I glanced out the library window. It was already dark out as it was just after eight o' clock at night.

I'd stayed late with Avery to study at the library since my mom was holding another event with my dad's associates. She'd told me they were wine tasting, or something along those lines. Going to the library to study was my only excuse not to join. She was not happy about it.

The rest of the Macbeth show that night was uneventful. Liam came back from the washroom about fifteen minutes later, but he stayed far away from me, and avoided speaking to me the rest of the night. I tried not to take offence to that.

That continued throughout the week, and he avoided me like I was the plague. I tried not to let it affect me, but it was hard. I'd spent more time than I'd like to admit, wondering what had gone wrong with him.

A part of me knew it was for the best, avoiding him was what I should have done a long time ago. But still, I couldn't shake away the dejected feeling in my stomach.

"My mom's here, are you sure you don't need a ride?" Avery asked as she swung her bag over her shoulders.

"Yeah, I also drove here," I told her as I shoved my pencil into the bag. I watched it slide between my binders and books.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow then," she gave me one last smile before she walked off, disappearing from my view.

Swinging my own backpack over my shoulder, I began making my way out of the library, passing by bookshelves and empty tables. No one was left at the school, unless it was for a late class and the library was pretty much empty.

I stopped short when I noticed Liam at one of the tables, he had his textbook and notebook out, scribbling something down at lightning speed. His hair was dishevelled, drooping over his forehead as he worked.

The familiar swarm of butterflies resurfaced in my stomach as I sucked in a deep breath. I'd barely seen him throughout the week, only in the one class we shared.

As if on cue, Liam turned his head, his eyes meeting mine. My stomach flipped. Immediately, he tore his eyes away from mine, turning back to the table as he began writing again.

I found my lips curling down, a heavy weight settling in my chest.

He'd been that way all week, and I didn't understand why. I also didn't understand why it bugged me so much — it was supposed to be a good thing. I rolled my eyes, taking another few strides to exit the library.

The hall was empty and dim, with most of the lights turned off. It was eerily quiet, which I enjoyed much more than how busy it was during the day.

I made my way out of the school and stepped into the parking lot, my sneakers smacking against the pavement.

I glanced around, taking in the empty, dark lot. There were no streetlights illuminating it, leaving me in pitch darkness. All the spots were vacant, except for my motorcycle and Liam's car. I hurried over to my motorcycle, feeling my heart race slightly from being alone in a creepy parking lot.

The wind was strong, adding to the chilly night. I pulled my sweater closer to my body.

Before I could even hop on to my motorcycle or shove my bag into the compartment, I stopped short.

"Shit," I cursed under my breath, my eyes scanning the back tire. It was deflated and sagging towards the ground, causing my bike to lean slightly to the back.

There was a large nail sitting on the ground next to my tire, one that was usually used to build shelves or other wooden structures. I must've rolled over it as I parked without realizing.