Oh, Oh, Oh It's Magic

"You need to think good thoughts" Rowena said, a few minutes later. 

She had led me out across the grounds with Cedric, Emmett, and Lena following behind me as well. It was pretty funny really, the smallest and youngest of the group - Rowena also seemed to have the most authority. We had walked for only maybe two minutes, at a safe distance from the house but still very much on the property. Once she had stopped walking, Rowena spun around to face me and plopped down onto the ground with her legs criss-crossed yoga style. Lena and Cedric had walked over to one of the trees that had been plopped onto the grounds and leaned against them comfortably while Emmett joined Rowena on the ground and pulled a small notebook and pen out of his jacket pocket. 

"Think of the happiest memory of your life - no matter how far back it is, you need to dig far into your mind and find it. The happier the memory, the stronger the pull on your magic will be." 

"You do realize I don't know what the hell I'm doing right?" I asked. "How can I produce magic when I don't know how?" 

Although I had said that with a hint of snarkiness, Rowena simply offered me a smile of understanding. "You'll know how, your body has been storing magic for years - you've done magic before you just didn't know it. This morning for example, and last night. When your parents told you who you really are the weather immediately changed from sun to rain clouds - it changed with your mood." 

"Look I need a demonstration" I sighed, "Show me what magic is supposed to look like." 

Rowena turned her head over to where Lena sat and nodded at her. "That's your specialty Lenny." 

I followed her gaze and set my eyes on Lena. In response Lena rolled her eyes but held her hand out in front of her, flipping it so the palm faced the sky. She closed her smokey eye shadowed eyes and we waited for a few minutes before slowly I watched as small snow flakes began to emerge from the palm of her hand and float down to the ground. Lena crouched down slightly and blew through her glossed lips allowing a gust of wind to escape and carry the snow flakes farther over to where I stood. 

It was the most magnificent sight I had ever set my eyes on. The grounds of the plantation was having it's own flurry. But after a moment passed by, I heard Lena snap her fingers and all traces of the snow had disappeared leaving us back where we had started. 

"Obviously that's much more advanced magic," Rowena told me spinning back to face me. "With you, we're starting off small okay, think happy thoughts and... try to light that fire pit over there." She added, pointing to where just a few feet off was a large bonfire pit. "You have the gift of sun, and therefore fire and light - go on, try it." 

"Kick off your shoes too," Emmett instructed me, looking up from writing in his notebook. "It helps you connect with the spirits of your ancestors, they can also help trigger your magic." 

I did as he instructed and slipped off my cream heeled boots then proceeded to close my eyes. 

I didn't have many happy memories of my childhood, I had never been able to stay anywhere long enough to have any real good memories. I didn't have any friends, I didn't have any other family except for my parents - that pretty much limited my ability to have happy memories quite a bit. 

But then it hit me, my tenth birthday. 

We had been living in Nevada and I remember it had been a hard year. I remembered my parents had been fighting more constantly, and we had been running low on money for the first time in forever. My tenth birthday wasn't even going to be a birthday, I knew we didn't have very much money so I didn't ask for anything and I didn't expect anything to come of the day either.