Chapter 22: And My Own Two Hands Will Comfort You

Start from the beginning

"Hey, babe, what's up?" Halsey asked brightly. Camila could hear screaming in the background. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been on the phone with one of her friends when she couldn't hear screaming in the background.

People or animals. Somebody was always outraged.

"Ashley." Camila said quietly.

"Camila? Is something wrong?"

"Pongo's-he passed away... Can you come and-"

Halsey cut her off immediately and the loud noises in the background faded away. "Oh God, Camila, yeah. Yeah, I'm on my way. Is Lauren okay?"

Camila shut her eyes and shook her head.

"She'll be home for her lunch break in half an hour. I don't-Should I let her see him?"
Halsey was silent for a minute. And then she sighed and replied. "Yeah. Yeah, definitely. I mean, he's not a person. He looks the same, right?"

Camila pictured the white, fluffy body and started crying again. "Yeah." She choked out, sitting down on the couch and rubbing at her eyes with her free hand.

"Hey, I'll be there soon, okay?" Halsey said softly.

Camila nodded and hummed, patting Jelly when she jumped into her lap.

"And think of, uh, what you want to...do with him. Alright?"

"Okay, Ashley. Thank you." Camila sniffled.

"No problem, babe."

When Camila hung up, she wiped the tears off her cheeks and went to the bathroom to wash her face. She made sure Pongo was...presentable, but really, he just looked like he was sleeping. She gave Barnaby a waffle and Cornelius some Sugar Puffs because they were being good, and she just freaking loved them so much right now.

So, so much. She'd feed them all the junk in the world if they asked.

She didn't know what to do.

And then she heard Lauren come through the front door, carrying a box of chocolate sprinkle donuts and wearing a bright smile that faded as soon as she saw Camila's face in the kitchen.

"Camila , what's wrong? What happened?" Lauren asked softly, dropping her donuts on the counter and rushing to give Camila a hug. She lifted her off the ground and swayed side to side, and Camila had to smile.

It was exactly what she needed.

Camila waited till she was on the ground again and had Lauren's eyes locked on her own before saying anything.

"It's Po, baby." She said quietly.

Three words, and Camila could tell that Lauren understood. There was nothing else the phrase could possibly mean. Lauren searched her eyes for a minute, and Camila watched Lauren's green ones fill with tears. Then Lauren stepped back and looked around the apartment anxiously, mouth half-open like she wanted to call his name. When she looked confusedly back at Camila, Camila took her hand gently and guided her into the bedroom.

Lauren whined a little bit when she saw Pongo, but she stayed composed and gripped Camila's hand tighter, and sat cross-legged in front of him, slowly reaching out to run her hands through his fur. Camila sat next to her. Lauren wasn't saying anything, or making any noise at all, but Camila wiped away the tears that started to stream steadily down her face.

She heard Halsey come through the front door, so she got up and kissed Lauren's head sweetly and went to greet her. She looked somber. Probably the most serious Camila had ever seen her, and she'd brought Dinah, Ariana, and Harry along.