Chapter 22: And My Own Two Hands Will Comfort You

Start bij het begin

"Um, you. I mean, I guess-I guess this is okay because you like it," Lauren gestured at the hanging tree, keeping one hand on the wheel, "but I want my car to smell like you. If I ever get a car."

Alright. Just a tiny bit weird. A little odd, but sweet. Camila wondered if she could bottle her scent. She was such a star, people would probably buy it in hopes of absorbing some of her talent. She should look into that.

"Or cookies. Peanut butter cookies. Or sugar. Or chocolate chip."
Camila smiled. "They actually make those."

Lauren ran into the curb, violently jolting the car, and looked at Camila with bright eyes, ignoring the temporary terror in the brown ones. "They do?"

Camila gripped the door handle and the dash nervously. "Yeah, they do... Baby, focus, okay?"

Sure, Camila was the one distracting her...But Lauren was the one about to wrap her Audi around a pole, or accelerate into the laundromat across the street.

Lauren focused back on parking, and Camila patted her thigh and gave her a kiss when she finished. Yeah, they were sort of diagonal, and Camila was sure that at least one of their wheels was up on the curb, and she'd accidentally reclined her seat all the way so it was like a bed and Lauren was laughing at her for it, but they hadn't rammed anybody, or blown through any store windows.

So, success.

~oooooooooo~

Butter and George were gradually losing weight, but they still never failed to knock the wind out of Camila when they launched themselves onto her stomach every morning. This morning, she just rolled them off to the side and stiff-armed them until they started wailing for food.

They were the loudest goddamned animals in the world.

Even though Lauren fed them before work, and they were already unbelievably fat. Lauren was probably losing a piece of her soul, not being able to feed them Cap'n Crunch and bacon and whatever other crap Jelly got to enjoy occasionally.

Camila sat up and stretched. And then she lay back down, hugged Pooh, and Cuddles, and Lauren's 101 Dalmatians pillow, and breathed in the gummy bear smell. Until Butter landed on her face and she was forced to stand up.

Staring into her different colored eyes was mildly terrifying. She was like an adorable, fat alien.

She noticed Barnaby sleeping next to Pongo on the floor, which was odd, because Lauren's pillow was his home in the mornings, and Cornelius thumped his tail as she passed him, but he didn't follow. Camila herded her cats out to the living room, and started her coffee before returning to her room to get dressed.

Barnaby hadn't moved. Cornelius hadn't moved. And Pongo hadn't even opened his eyes.

Oh crap. Oh no.

"Pongo." Camila said softly, staring at him from the doorway. Barnaby and Cornelius finally stood up and trotted over, circling her feet, but the fluffy, white dog didn't move.

Oh no. Oh no. Oh crap.

Camila walked over slowly and kneeled down in front of Pongo. Her eyes were burning already, and she buried a hand in the fur on his head and shook him lightly.

"Po." She said loudly. He didn't stir. Camila sat back on her heels and let out a shaky breath. Her heart felt constricted. She put her face in her hands until Barnaby and Cornelius came over and gave her some loving. What the hell was she supposed to do now? Call Lauren?

Oh God.

Camila ran her hand through the thick, white fur a few more times, and kissed Pongo's head, and then got up and went out to the living room to call Halsey. She took a few deep breaths and blinked away her tears.