Chapter 1: In a World of My Own. Down the Rabbit Hole We Go!

We now find ourselves amidst a park in the middle of Victorian London. It was a sunny, summer day as butterflies flew happily through the meadow and a couple of swans were together in a lake. Atop a branch of a big tree was a young girl by the name of Alice. Alice was lazing around as her older sister, Lorina, was sitting beneath the tree and reading a history book, not noticing that Alice was not paying attention to her.

Lorina: ...'Leaders, and had been of late, much accustomed to usurpation and conquest. Edwin and Morcar, the Earls of Mercia and Northumbria, declared for him: and even Stigand-'...

Lorina found herself pausing as her younger sister's foot came down from the tree branch it was over top of. With a mild annoyance, she pushes the leg back up.

Lorina: Alice!

Alice: Hmm. Oh, I'm listening.

Alice was busy making a daisy flower necklace in the tree with her pet cat, Dinah. Lorina cleared her throat and went to continue reading the book.

Lorina: 'And even Stigand, the archbishop of Canterbury, agreed to meet with William and offer him the crown. William's conduct was at first moderate'—

Alice finishes her necklace and places it over Dinah like a crown. Dinah shakes the "crown" off her head and it falls onto Lorina. Alice couldn't help but giggle, but Lorina didn't find it so funny.

Lorina: Alice, will you kindly pay attention to your history lesson?

Alice: I'm sorry. But how can anyone possibly pay attention to a good book with no pictures in it?

Lorina: My dear child, there are many good books in this world without pictures.

Alice: In this world perhaps, but in my world, the books would be nothing, but pictures.

Lorina: Your world? *laughs* What nonsense.

Alice: Nonsense?

Alice glanced at her and then looked to her cat as Lorina sat back down to read.

Alice: That's it, Dinah! If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrariwise, what it is, it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would, you see?

Dinah mewed in confusion.

Alice: In my world, you wouldn't say 'meow'. You would say 'yes, miss Alice'.

Alice takes her cat down from the tree as Lorina was lost in her own world of the book she was reading. Dinah mewed again.

Alice: Oh, but you would. You'd be just like people, Dinah, and all the other animals too.

Alice put Dinah down in the flower bed. She then lies down in the field, looking at the daisies.

Alice: Why, in my world...

Cats and rabbits

Would reside in fancy little houses

And be dressed in shoes and hats and trousers

In a world of my own

All the flowers

Would have very extra, special powers

They would sit and talk to me for hours

When I'm lonely in a world of my own

Just then, a blue bird chirped and sat in a tree, coming in their view.