Chapter 13, Part 2: It's Okay, If It's Just Today

Comincia dall'inizio

Tully's action of sniffing stopped. "Coughing lightly he asked "I've noticed since I met you that you smell really good".

"Oh really? I don't use anything though. Maybe it's my sweat? I can offer you a bottle,  ofcourse only if you want some" he deadpanned.

Tully's eyes widened "Really? Wow, I feel so honoured!" He scoffed sarcastically while rolling his eyes. "So you mean to say that you just naturally smell this good? Then he continued "Actually,  I also noticed that Juno smells really good too, though it's different from you".  Kal's smile stiffened for a moment before it return but this time it had a hint of sadness.  He had forgotten himself for a moment. This person, this lovely, wholesome person cannot be his. He should not get carried away, the deeper he falls the more it will hurt.

"Let's go to the spot before they start coming out" Grasping Tully's smaller hands into his, Kal led him to his favourite place.

The area was located in no man's land, a territory not owned by any wolf pack. The surrounding packs used this area as a communal hunting ground and collectively kept it safe from any unwanted visitors and rogues.

They arrived to an area of the forest that was relatively open when compared to it's surroundings. This area had a large fallen tree that was surrounded by a carpet of Crocus flowers. The bluish-purple flower bulbs blossomed around this area making it look so ethereal, when contrasted with the orange hues that the setting sun had painted across the sky,  and those of the surrounding autumnal forest.

Tully was once again in a state of awe at the sight in front of him. It was as though he had been transported into a completely different world. Kal walked over to the fallen tree and sat down before patting the spot next to him for Tully to sit. Once they had both settled, he fumbled with the large bag he had carried from the trunk of his car all the way here. He then took out a large flask. "Hot chocolate?" He asked. Tully nodded with a smile. Kal poured some into a cup and handed it to him before serving a potion for himself. He then placed a blanket over their legs and sighed in contentment as they each sipped on their drinks while watching as the last bit of sun retreated into the sky.

After a moment had passed. Tully finally felt that this was the right moment to ask what had been worrying him "So...are y-you okay? I mean, I might be overthinking things but I noticed earlier that you seemed a bit down today..." he asked while glancing up to meet Kal's eyes in the dimming light.

Kal thought for a moment. He wanted to tell Tully everything. That he was infact a werewolf. And that they were mates, a fated pair. Also about Juno, their fight last night, and how he lost miserably. How lost, afraid and tortured his wolf felt knowing that he could no longer remain by his beloved mate's side. How much this pained them, he could not articulate into words.

"I'm leaving for a while" Kal stated matter of factly. "Something came up with my family and I have to go help them for a few months. It'll be four months minimum and 6months max".

Tully's eyes widened. "Y-you're leaving...for that long?" He whispered, feeling a tugging pain in his heart. He was sure that he himself indeed felt sad about Kal's sudden departure but his heart was in much more turmoil. It was as though there was him and there was his heart.

"...I have to go, it's an urgent matter after all" He added sounding as though convincing himself. 

"Will you return to see m- us?" he asked referring to Kii and Juno.

"Most likely not since where I'm going is quite far from here, so it's not convenient to go back and fourth" He spoke, the darkening forest now fully hiding his sadness.

Tully let out a small "oh" sound to show he understood. "Then when do you leave?" The moment he asked this the pain in his heart intensified. And even without realising it a tear had fallen from his eye. He wiped it in puzzlement only for it to be replaced with another.

Kal smelled the scent of Tully's tears which were carried in the wind. He squeezed Tully into his chest and as the moon emerged from the curtain of clouds he lifted Tully's chin and placed a light, lingering kiss on his lips.

Tully felt electrified. His body stiffened and grew hotter. He instinctively pulled away, yet a part of him was ecstatic and seemed to want more. Though strangely enough, another part of him immediately thought of Juno. He was not sure why but this made him feel as though he had wronged Juno. Within his haze of thoughts, Kal's husky voice laced with restrain whispered "look, they are out".

Tully snapped out of his daze and observed his surroundings. There he witness the most beautiful scene he had ever seen.  In the dimly moonlit forest, glowing embers of yellow pulsated, flickering on and off. They floated from the carpet of the crocus flowers before drifting in the early autumn breeze.  Before long the whole forest was dancing with glowing fireflies. Everything about this moment seemed so otherworldly that the two people who were sat closely together seemed as though they were the only people in that magical world.

"Now I understand why this is your favourite spot. It's absolutely magical, it really is. I am so glad you shared this with me". Tully whispered while still taking in the magnificence of the scene surrounding them. "I hope that you can sort out the matters with you family and return soon. Then we can come here and watch the fireflies together once more" He continued in a whisper as though speaking any louder would break the beautiful illusion of the world infront of them. He then drunk the last of his hot chocolate before sighing in content.

Kal who could see clearly in the dark due to his wolf smiled suppressing the pain in his heart. He knew from the moment Tully pulled away from his kiss that perhaps he never really had a chance to begin with. His wolf, Sentinel, whimpered as he too felt that although Tully seemed to be drawn to them, he ultimately had a stronger pull towards Juno. And the deeper this pull grows the more agony they feel.