Chapter 5: The Infected

We had been running for who knows how long, hiding behind sand dunes and watching as WICKED's security team searches the Scorch for our group. The storm had made it extra difficult to even see what was in front of us, but Teresa was somehow leading the way.

Coming over a sand dune, it doesn't take long to notice the abandoned building not so far away. It was covered in sand and looked terribly damaged, but all I'm hoping for is that it could serve as a shelter for the time being.

Running closer to the building and slowing down at the sight of it, Teresa stops in front of a broken window. One large enough that all of us could easily slip through, one by one.

"Come on!" Teresa orders, before jumping through the window and sliding down a pile of sand. The boys hesitated to follow her and were yelling at her to come back, but I would rather choose the abandoned building than being stuck in a sandstorm.

With that, I wasted no time in following Teresa's actions and jumped through the window, sliding down the soft sand and onto the hard floor of the building. "You alright?" She asks me as I stand up, I nod my head while turning to face where the boys stood.

"Get down here!" Teresa yells at them. "It's nothing bad!" I then yell, "Come on!" One by one, the boys follow in pursuit. Sliding down the sand and occasionally running into each other.

I then turn around and start to scan the building, searching for any signs of movement that may possibly try to harm us. To my relief, I saw nothing. The building was bigger than I expected, it seemed to be filled with tiny shops and dozens of staircases. I imagine that people came here a lot when the world was normal, I unfortunately can't remember the name.

Minho then takes off his backpack and grabs a flashlight, scanning the abandoned building for anything. "Where the hell are we?" He asks, turning back to us. But no one has an answer and I couldn't blame them.

"We gotta go." Thomas ushers, moving his hand as if saying to follow him, "We gotta keep moving." But Teresa is quick to protest, "No! Thomas, stop!"

Thomas turns back to her, Minho also flashing his light to her. "Tell me what's going on." Although, I had informed Teresa about WICKED, she still had no idea what we saw. The grievers, the hanging people, Ava Paige. She still knew nothing.

Thomas walks back to her, "It's WICKED. Like Y/n, said earlier. It's always been WICKED. They lied to us, we never escaped. The three of us..." Thomas gestures to me, Aris, and then himself. "We found bodies, too many to count."

"What do you mean?" Teresa asks, "Dead bodies?"

"No, but they weren't alive either."

"They had them strung up, hanging from the ceiling." I add on, "With tubes coming out of them. Like, they were being drained of something."

From next to me, I feel Newt's hand glide down my arm and grasp my hand, giving it a squeeze. Not hard enough to enact any pain, but to remind me that I have him.

Teresa puts her hand to the back of her neck as Thomas speaks up once again. "There's something inside of us that WICKED wants, something in our blood. So we have to get as far away from them as possible."

Everyone falls silent for a moment, and Newt releases his hand from mine to place it on his hip. "Okay. So, what's the plan?" Thomas begins to shake his head, "You do have a plan, right?"

"Yeah, I don't know." Thomas lowers his head as if he knew that Newt was going to yell at him. "Well, we followed you out here, Thomas, and now you're saying that you have no idea where we're going or what we're doing."

"Wait." Aris suddenly says, "Janson said something about people hiding in the mountains. Some kind of resistance or army." My mind begins to wander back to Janson's conversation with Ava. "The Right Arm." I suddenly remember, "And if they're really against WICKED..." Thomas adds on, "Maybe they can help us."