Valentine's Day: Tom's Version

Bắt đầu từ đầu

I looked over the table at her. Sometimes I wonder if she knows just how much she means to me. I will be any way she wants me to be. Whether it be as strong as a mountain, or as wild as the raging sea. My heart is clay in her hand, and she can mold it to whatever she desires. She holds the key to my heart.

Mickey took my jacket off and set it down. All the lights are on her, they always are. She asked me, "what are you ordering?"

"I'm thinking about trying the onion soup," I said. I enjoy soup, and I also enjoy onions. Best of both worlds. Plus, it was chilly outside so soup sounded wonderful.

Mickey, as always, chose her favorite. Steak Diane is delicious, but she always goes with the safer choice when it comes to food. Sometimes I wish that she would try something else, but she can be stubborn.

The waiter came around to get our drinks started, and I ordered a sparkling wine while Mickey ordered a diet soda. Of course, he tried to talk her out of it but she stayed insistent on her choice.

Once we got our drinks, I raised my glass of bubbly wine for a toast. She raised her glass of bubbly Coke, and I cleared my throat to begin my little speech. I had been working on it for a while, but I just wanted her to know how I felt about her. I felt a little nervous about pouring my heart out to her like this, but as soon as I looked into her warm eyes, I knew I had nothing to fear.

"This life has been full of twists and turns. Nothing is certain, except for one thing. I always want to be with you. From this day on, you'll never walk alone. You're a part of me, and I'm a part of you. Wherever we may travel, or whatever we go through or what time may take away, it will never change the way I feel about you. We will never know about tomorrow, but I do know that time has brought us together to share moments that we will carry with us for the rest of our lives. I love you with my whole being, Michelle Janine Gregg. Here's a toast, to you and me."

Mickey gleamed back at me and raised her glass closer to mine. We tapped our glasses together in cheers and brought them up to our lips. I polished off my glass, and poured myself another.

The intense clashing of heavy plates and silverware dropping to the floor alerted everyone in the restaurant. Mickey and I both snapped our heads toward the noise, and my throat tightened when I saw a man with a black ski mask on pointing his gun at a quivering and shaking waiter who had dropped everything that was in his hands.

I slowly looked toward Mickey, and she did the same in my direction. How do we always find ourselves in these situations?

The burglar yelled out to everyone in the restaurant, "get on the ground!"

My jaw clenched as I slowly reached beside me to pull my gun out from the inside of my jacket. My heart was beating out of my chest. Fuller has been recently encouraging us to always be armed, and I'm glad we listened to him.

Terrified customers were sliding from their chairs to their knees on the ground. Their hands were shaking as they put them up in surrender or behind their head. We had to be steady. The burglar kept his gun on them, but went around the tables and demanded for their keys, money, and wallets.

I glanced at Mickey as she cocked her gun and stuck her badge on the table. I didn't even know she had it on her. I've only seen this look in her eyes a few times in my life. Pure focus and concentration, like a snake... or a lioness about to attack her prey.

Under my breath, I counted down, "three, two, one."

We both jumped up from the table and pointed our guns at the armed man. He froze and turned to look at us and he immediately pointed his gun at us. I shouted at him, "freeze! Police!"