Chapter 5

Chapter 5

    The scene was joyful. A girl, no older than the age of five, ran happily through the fields. Picking at the many wildflowers that had surrounded the area. The skies were blue, and the birds flew free. As sweet little laughs flew out the girls soft, pink lips. As her curls bounced happily around her.

    In the background, a little house could be seen. A woman stood outside it, watching as the little girl ran happily through the tall, green grass. Only inches off the forest around them. Smiling softly at the small, innocent, frail girl before her.

    Suddenly, the scene began to change. The once blue skies, had turned to gray. Clouds began to roll in, and rain fell from the sky above. The girl lay curled within her mother’s warm embrace. Burying her small, little head into her mother’s chest.

    Just outside, guns began to shoot. Cars pulled into the small, gravel driveway as men in suits climbed out. Sending panic through the older woman’s veins. As fear for her young daughter began to grow.

    “M-mommy, w-what’s happening?” The scared girl cried out. As the men began banging on the doors. Demanding the pair out of the house.

    “Baby, I need you to listen to me, alright? I want you to run. Escape into the woods and never look back. I want you to hide yourself, and never trust anyone,” the woman instructed the scared little girl.

    “W-what about you?” She cried, clinging to her mother. Who now had tears forming within her eyes. Embracing her daughter, her pride and joy, into an embracing hug.

    “Baby, don’t worry about me. Mommy will be just fine. Now baby, you need to go. It’s not safe here anymore! Run, remember everything I told you, and remember that I love you,” the women exclaimed, as the banging grew louder and louder.

    “B-but M-”

    “No baby, there’s no time! Go, now! Hurry, before it’s too late!” With that, the girl took off. Running right out the hidden door at the back of the house and into the woods ahead of her. Letting the rain wash away the tears that continued to roll down her cheeks.

    Listening to her mother, she continued to run. Only turning back once. Just to witness the men in the suits pull a gun to her mother’s head. Pulling the trigger, and killing her instantly. Shattering the girls once lively soul.

    With that, she continued to run. She just ran and ran and never again looked back. As emptiness filled her soul. An emptiness that could never be restored.

    Gasping, my eyes flew open. Looking around, the room was pitch black. My breathing had been heavy, and sweat poured down my forehead. My limbs were uncontrollably shaky, as the scene kept running round and round my head.

    I tried to shake the memory from my mind. Laying back down in hopes of drifting off into a peaceful slumber. Though sleep never came. Instead, flashes of the dreadful scene ran round and round my head. Making even the idea of sleep nearly impossible.

        The memory had been awful. A scene that would forever haunt my mind. A phase in my young life I could never forget. A memory that would forever stay. Little by little driving me insane.

        Shakily, I stood from the bed. Silently, I made my way towards the door. Quietly making my way down the hall. In hopes not to wake up those around me.