"I'm glad she seems happy with things already," Llyr said as he kissed me. I nodded, gratefully thanking him for being able to come, even if it was obvious he would. I was nothing but happy for her until I realized who wasn't among the greeters. I gave Gwynden a look, and he nervously tilted his head towards the dining room.

   "Can I at least help stir something?" Aedia asked. While both Syele and Lissy refused her, I headed to the dining room. I partially didn't expect to see her there, but no, Melva was here as well.

   She was sitting at the far end of the table, shoulders partially slouched and her elbows on the table as she held a half-full glass of water. To my surprise, she didn't look as haggard as I thought aside from some faint shadows under her eyes. She'd pulled her hair back into a loose ponytail with a few loose strands hanging down about her ears, but besides that bit of sloppiness, her shirt and pants were clean without wrinkles. If anything, she looked more exhausted in an emotional sense. She then noticed me. "Hey, kid," she muttered.

   There was no smile... Still, I smiled, and I took a seat near her. I had so much to say, but I needed to start simple. "Are you doing okay?" I cautiously asked. She shrugged.

   "Dunno, everythin's been muddy. Can't tell if it's 'cause I ain't sleepin' well, or if it's 'cause I'm missin' somethin' I love."

   While I wanted to believe it was Vio, it was surely alcohol. "If I had to get sober, then you had to as well. It's not fair that you got left behind."

   Melva let out a dry chuckle. "Yeah, say that all ya want. But a few weeks without it are hell when ya had it all ya wanted for 'bout twenty years. Not a day goes by that I don't miss it." She looked down at her glass. "Like to pretend this' vodka, like a damn kid playin' pretend." She shook her head before taking a swig.

   "Just tell me you're doing better on some front," I said.

   "I'm... doin'," Melva said simply before wrapping an arm around my shoulders. "But this ain't the time to talk 'bout that. It's your sister's birthday, it ain't any occasion for me. Still, I'm just glad you're doin' better than me." That wasn't enough of an answer for me, but she was right. Today was for Aedia.

   The others started filtering into the dining room in the next few minutes, bringing with them conversation. I joined in, though I quickly noticed Melva didn't, at least not as much gusto as she usually did. Conversation made the time fly, and soon dinner was served. The hypothetical meal Lissy posed before was even better in reality. I never got tired of Syele's cooking. It reminded me so much of Father's, painfully nostalgic.

   The rich scents of Neritantan meat and cheese-baked bread hung heavy in the air as the conversation grew more lively. Between the bites of heavenly food, I felt myself smiling more and even laughing a few times. I welcomed the feelings back; it'd been so long...

   Once dinner concluded, we took a break for Aedia to open her gifts while dessert was brought out. From Syele and Lissy, Aedia received a hand-knitted blanket filled with Hammerbeak down, Llyr and Gwynden oddly both gave her herbs, though Llyr's were meant for medical usage while Gwynden's were for cooking with. Melva gifted her what looked like a maple leaf carved out of wood. It was simple and elegant, and it didn't look like any kind of Relic I'd ever seen.

   "Bell gave that to me when I turned twenty-two; he always loved woodworking," Melva explained. "I would've given it to ya when ya were twenty-two, but we were in no shape to do any o' that."

   "It doesn't matter, it's still beautiful. Thank you, Melva!" Aedia said happily. For a second, I thought I saw Melva smile, though I wasn't sure of it. I then presented Aedia with my gift, and her jaw dropped. "A Dusk Lily, right? Llyr was bringing me back some of these before, they seem to be effective in curing some minor plant-based poisons on the First Layer."