Hange's expression softened as she thought about your question.

"As you said; I can't guarantee it will be you, but you have my word that I'll do my damndest to give you the opportunity to. I promise you'll get your closure somehow", she smiled sincerely as she put a hand on your shoulder, rubbing it in a supportive manner. You nodded appreciatively. "Now get back in position before I rat you out to Shorty over there", she joked with a wink, and you left to walk by your friends again with a snicker.

You felt better now, knowing you definitely had Hange on your side, and with her help you had a better shot at completing your one true goal and your promise to your parents.

"-She's right. Rest up, Eren". Connie mentioning Eren's name yanked you out of your thoughts with widened eyes.

The first and most important order for this mission was to never address or mention Eren by name- ever.

"Don't say his name, idiot", Jean quickly scolded him with a low voice.

"Oh, yeah, sorry..."

"Assume this place is swarming with enemies-", Jean interrupted himself with a gasp as he looked up at a tree with a horrified expression. Following his gaze and directing your light in that direction, you were met with the sight of a 3-metre titan, leaning against the trunk.

"Titan on the left! Everyone halt! Light up the area!", Jean yelled. Mikasa pushed Eren behind her and you rested your hand on the handle of your blade, prepare to attack on a moments notice.

"It's alright. He's fast asleep", Hange quickly observed. "This lad must not be one of those new types that moves at night... That's too bad. Let him be", she said with a slight motherly tone at the end. You trusted her judgment and removed your hand from your blade at the same time as you lowered your light. It felt unsafe and unnatural to turn your back to it and leave it behind like that, but you pushed it out of your mind for the time being.

"I can't believe we didn't see it till it was that close to us", Eren said in disbelief. He had a point. Jean was not but an arms reach away from it; an easy prey for the lanky armed titan.

"Yeah, I'm with you there. This moonless night must be protecting us. Light from the moon is reflected sunlight. The new type of titan... -we think they use that minuscule amount of reflected light to move. Using the new moon was the right move. There's no guarantee we won't have a repeat of before", Hange said somber. You winced as you thought about that night at Utgard Castle. None of you were prepared for titans being active at night and you could still remember how strong and prominent the moonlight had been that evening.

You subconsciously reached out your hand for Marco's, which he took the second he noticed.

"You okay?"

"Yeah... Just nervous, I guess? It's been so long, and I don't know what I can expect to see once we get there. I'm scared to taint the images I have from the town's glory-days with the state of it right now...". Marco squeezed your fingers lightly, inhaling deeply.

"Those are valid fears and I understand why you feel like this. We're all scared, but for different reasons. But we all got each other's backs, and you can be sure that I'll stick by you through it all. I'm right here to support you", he smiled, tucking a strand of hair that had fallen,-away from your face.

You smiled while leaning your head against his shoulder, looking around you.

'Wait...'

A wave of familiarity hit you as you watched the woods surrounding you. It's where you and the people of Shiganshina used to go to collect your firewood. You know Eren and Mikasa used to come her too since you had spotted them a couple of times; too shy to go talk to them without Armin present. You noticed Mikasa stopping for a second, looking at the trees, and you knew she was thinking the same thing.