Chapter Two - Arrival of Ayanokoji (Bus Scene)

Start from the beginning

"That's really a crazy question, lady," the boy said.

"H-how is that a crazy question!"

I half expected two holes to appear in the back of Koenji's head having witnessed the irritation in Sato's scowl.

"Just keep watching, little girl, I'm sure you'll understand my position." Koenji didn't even bother looking in her direction.

I wondered whether this boy was angry, unobservant, or just painfully honest. In any case, he grinned broadly and crossed his legs. "Why should I offer up my seat? There's no reason for me to do so."

Sato and other students grew increasingly annoyed at Keonji's flagrant rudeness.

"You're sitting in a priority seat. It's natural to offer up those seats to the elderly."

"I don't understand. Priority seats are just that: priority seats. I have no legal obligation to move. Since I'm currently occupying this seat, I should be the one who determines whether or not I move. Am I supposed to give up this seat just because I am young? Ha! That reasoning is nonsense."

He didn't speak like a normal high school student. His hair was dyed blond, which made him stand out.

"So you recognised my superiority from that brief exchange, Ayanokoji-boy? I am impressed by your perception." Koenji looked to have no idea the anger that was being directed toward him but that wasn't true. He knew perfectly well.

"I'm a healthy young person who certainly wouldn't find standing inconvenient. However, I'd obviously expend more energy by standing than I would by sitting. I have no intention of doing such a pointless thing. Or are you suggesting I should act a bit livelier, I wonder?"

"Wh-what kind of attitude is that to take with your superiors?" she demanded.

"Superiors? Well, it's obvious that both you and the old woman there have been alive longer than I have. There is no doubt about that. However, the word 'superior' implies that you're referring to someone of a higher position. In addition, we have another problem. Even though ages are different, wouldn't you agree that you have an impertinent attitude and are being extremely rude?"

Looking around I could see that most students were in a state of shock at Koenji's words. Whether that was because of his rudeness or apparent ignorance towards his own behaviour - well it was probably a bit of both. However, some students had different reactions. Ryuen Kakeru had been snickering throughout and Ichinose Honami wore a sorrowful gaze. As always, she felt bad for the afflicted rather than getting angry at the guilty party.

"Wha- You're a high schooler, aren't you?! You should be quiet and listen to what adults tell you!"

"It's f-fine, whatever..." the elderly woman mumbled

This was greeted with saddened "Aww"'s from the audience and a sense of focussed hostility centred around a single target. Koenji was a braver man than I.

She apparently didn't want any further commotion and tried to calm the office lady. But after being insulted by the high school student, the young woman still seemed very upset.

"Apparently, this elderly woman is more perceptive than you, which is nice. Also, I haven't given up on Japanese society yet. Please enjoy your remaining years."

After flashing a pointlessly vigorous smile, the boy slid his earphones in and began listening to rather cacophonous music. The office lady now clenched her teeth in frustration Though she tried needling the boy by arguing further, his smug, self-important attitude remained fixed.