4

Kiara gets out of her room with twinkling eyes just as I'm about to take the first bite of my breakfast. The package with takeout wrap from Chester, it's a croissant sandwich filled with banana, nutella spread, and cinnamon. The best sweet croissant in that café. My favorite.

"What pleasant smell is this?" asks Kiara. Even with a mask on, I can tell that she is grinning from ear to ear. However, something is strange with her question.

"What smell?"

She sniffs around one more time and then points to the croissant. "That."

Now I'm confused. I sniff the food in my hand to make sure. There's no smell. The confusion becomes panic.

"Shit."

I put my croissant back in it's wrap and sniff the back of my hand to see if the hand soap scent is still smelled. Nope. I run to my room and spray my perfume to my wrist and sniff it. Still no smell. No way. I've lost my smelling sense!

"I have a simple question for you." Suddenly Kiara is already standing in my doorway, her arms crossing her chest. "Did you smell this thick coffee scent when you woke up?"

My eyes shift to the reed diffuser on my desk. Fuck, I didn't realize I haven't smell my favorite scent in my own room. I sigh in defeat and take a seat on the corner of my bed.

"Could you taste the croissant?"

My eyes grow wide. I've lost my smelling sense, I can't lose another one of my senses!

I scurry back to the kitchen with Kiara trailing behind me. She's eyeing me expectantly as I wash my hands again and sit on my spot earlier. I take the croissant out from the wrap, but instead of taking a bite, I glance at my roommate. She gives me an encouraging nod as she senses my hesitation.

Placing the bun inside my mouth, I bite it and start chewing it. The thing is, I am not greeted by the familiar delicacy that this croissant usually has. Kiara furrows her eyebrows as I scrunch my face in disgust.

It seriously tastes weird. Bland, flavorless mix of something crispy and mushy. I try so hard to swallow it.

Looking at Kiara, I know must not spit it out from my mouth. She looks like she's about to throw up. Seriously, I'm the one who's chewing tasteless food. I should be the one who is nauseous.

No matter how hard I try to put on a normal face, it's still not enough to stop Kiara from being queasy. She places her hand over her mask and run to the bathroom. Huh, I bet this isn't the first time she throws up today.

"I'm fine," she says as she comes back from the bathroom, putting back her mask loops over her ears. "I'll eat after you finish, you still have to eat no matter what. I'm sorry by the way, I hope your senses will come back soon."

Taking another bite of the now bland but usually toothsome piece of heaven, I nod. "You can smell, I bet you can praise food delicacy as well."

***
The rest of the day was okay. Kiara put the idea of having some 'me time' into my brain where I just do whatever pleases me. She even suggested to watch some of her recommendations. Mainly she said that because she wanted to continue re-watching Glee.

Easy for her to say. It's not like I don't want to enjoy my alone time, but I can't just detach myself from all the responsibilities waiting for me. Priority, remember? Even though all my works have been submitted, including my thesis revisions.

As I didn't really have anything else to do, I tried to watch something from Kiara's recommendation that also on my watch list. At first, I decided to watch La La Land, then I got bored and tried Peaky Blinders, got bored again and change the show several times. Finally I thought I could stick up with Deadpool. It ended with the movie watching me staring to nothing while my mind drifts to nowhere.