Sleepless night

I pulled the shawl tighter around my shoulders as a draught seemed to blow in through the gap under the door. I looked at the flames in the fire as they licked lazily at the logs.

It must be around dawn as I could hear the garrison beginning to wake for the day, I turned my head and looked over to the empty bed. Athos had left what seemed like hours ago to find Milady. I had begged for him to take at least Porthos with him, but he told me he would be better off alone.

I tried to recall what I knew of the story in the book but all memory of it failed me, was I re writing a classic.

"Estelle" I jumped, I hadn't heard the door knock or open, D'artaganan was standing there with a steaming pot of tea "I did knock, I saw the light in the window. Where's Athos?"

"He left to find her" I looked back at the fire 

"The woman we saw at the cathedral?" He frowned coming over and putting the pot down "His wife?" I nodded "Alone?"

"Yes, I wanted him to take one of you, but he wouldn't" I looked at D'artaganan "I'm scared"

"Athos loves you, we can all see it" D'artaganan put his hand over mine "He would never do something to hurt you"

"It's her I don't trust" I got to my feet and paced the floor "There is something dangerous about her"

"Athos is a dangerous man in his own right" 

"But can he be with her"

"I can..." D'artaganan and I both jumped at the sound of Athos's voice. I couldn't help myself; I ran to him and threw myself into his arms.

Athos wrapped his arm around me and used his other hand and stroked the back of my neck.

"Why didn't you take one of us?" D'artaganan asked getting to his feet

"Because it is my problem" I looked at him and raised my hand and slapped him across the face. He looked at me with wide eyes.

"YOUR PROBLEM, WHY DO YOU INSIST ON DOING THINGS ALONE WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO" I moved away from him

"Estelle is right; One thing you all taught me was we are brothers, we are a family" D'artaganan walked over to Athos "Porthos and I saw the way she looked at Estelle, you know this woman and you know what she is capable of"

"I do and I sentenced her to death for her actions" Athos moved around the room and filled a cup with brandy "I went alone to keep you all safe" he looked at me "To keep you safe"

"Did you find her?" I asked trying to keep my voice even

"I did not" he shook his head "I asked questions and I found nothing out" He sat down and ran his hand through his hair

"Captain Treville isn't going to like this" D'artaganan chewed his lip

"D'artaganan, I'd like to speak with Athos alone please" I asked not taking my eyes from Athos.

"Of course" He got to his feet and walked out closing the door after him.

"Are you going to strike me again?" he looked up at me

"I will if you insist on doing things alone when you have no need. You know that I love you and I want to spend my life with you but you're risking yourself, and so help me if you wind up dead in the street I'll kill you again for leaving me" I couldn't help as a tear rolled down my cheek "I'm afraid for your recklessness" Athos put his cup down and came over to me and held my arms "I don't want her to take you away" He closed his eyes and rested his head against mine

"I'm sorry Estelle. I do not think, I am still trying to become" He paused "Become the man you deserve" he opened his eyes and looked at me.