Return to Paris

I woke with a start and it took me a minute to remember where I was. Athos was sleeping soundly next to me with his arms wrapped around me from behind. My body ached in a good way, I eased his arm from my waist and slipped out of bed picking up his discarded shirt and putting it on.

I shivered against the cold and grabbed a blanket from the foot of the bed and wrapped it around me and crouched down by the fire that was almost out. I picked up some of the wood that was stacked neatly and put it on and fanned the embers sparking it back to life. I sat down and hugged my knees to my chest and smiled as I watched the flames lick at the wood.

"Estelle" there was a worried call from the bed and Athos sat upright and looked around

"I'm right here" he sighed and eased off the bed making me blush and smile at the nakedness of his body

"I had a dream that you had left in the night" he picked up a blanket and wrapped it around himself and sat on a chair.

"I woke and saw the fire was almost out so I got up and made it" I said getting to my feet, Athos smiled at me and held out his hand. I put mine in his and he tugged me on to his lap and nuzzled the side of my neck

"I was hoping that last night was not a dream" he murmured

"It wasn't" I touched the side of his face "Thank you for being honest with me and opening up" he nodded "But I think you need to tell Aramis and the others what you have told me" he pulled a face "You trust them with your life; so trust them with this" he put his head back and sighed "You know that I'm right"

"I do" he nodded "Are you ready to return to Paris?"

"I suppose" I nodded "Promise me that you will bring me back here"

"If that is what you wish" he kissed me.

Athos walked back into the bedroom pulling on his gloves, he stopped and lent on the door frame and smiled at me.

"You're staring at me"  I said picking up the fur lined cloak and put it on and frowned at him.

"I know" he pushed off the door frame and came over and held my hands "I cannot believe that you did not run from me last night"

"I thought about it; especially after what you had said about having your wife..." I struggled to come out with the word Hanged

"Well she was a murderer and she had lied to me and another man because all she wished for was wealth" he sighed "And she was never truly my wife because she was still married; I never expected to be a Musketeer, at my age I was expecting to be the Count de la Fere with her and to have my Children playing in the fields as I had done with my siblings. Now look at me I'm a stone hearted Soldier with a Moody temper" I let go of his hand and touched the side of his face.

"Lets see what we can do about softening that stone" I whispered as I pushed up on my toes and kissed him.

"I do not deserve you" he slipped his arm around my waist as we headed out of his room and started down the stairs. "Oh you ask if any of the portraits were of me" He said stopping us halfway down and he pointed to an uncovered painting. It was of a slightly younger looking Athos his hair was shorter than it was now and he was clean shaven it looked like he didn't have any cares in the world with no lines etched in to his brow that the path of his life had given him. "It was painted as a gift for Ann for when we got married" he said with the tension in is jaw too apparent.

"You were good looking when you were younger; but I think that you are even more handsome now" he hung his head and actually flushed a little

"Thank you" we walked down and out to where Gaston was holding on to Hades reins

"Will you come back soon My Lord?" He asked as Athos swung himself up into the saddle

"I shall be back in the spring. Estelle wishes to see the estate in all seasons" Athos smiled at me then looked back at Gaston "But I shall send word so the house will be ready for us"

"Very well" Gaston smiled he helped me up in front of Athos "Safe travels" Athos nodded and pulled on Hades reins and turned him away from the house I pulled up the hood on the cloak and lent my head against his chest,

I was so glad when the earth turned to the cobbles of the Paris streets. We rode through the archway to the Garrison. Porthos walked down the stairs to the courtyard and over to us as the stable boy ran for Hades reins.

"We thought that you'd eloped" Porthos chuckled putting his hands on my waist and lifting me down

"Not yet" Athos said shaking his head with a smile "but we needed to talk without the distractions of Paris" Athos took my hand Porthos looked at it and then grinned from ear to ear

"Well finally you have seen what is right in front of you" Porthos laughed out loud and clapped Athos on his shoulder "but I think we are in trouble with having both Constance and Estelle as a part of us"

"I would agree" Athos nodded "Musketeers need strong women and that is what we have found" there was the sound of hooves and we all looked around as a cadet rode in at full speed and dismounted quickly

"Where is Captain Treville?" he was breathless

"I'm here, Athos good to have you back; Estelle" he smiled and nodded "What is it Cadet?"

"Trouble with bandits they have the Convent surrounded" Athos looked confused "Aramis and D'artaganan are holding them off as best they can but I don't know how long they can do that"

"Porthos, Athos go help them and bring back the Queen unharmed" Treville instructed

"The queen is with them?" Athos frowned 

"She wanted a little Solace for a day or so" Treville signaled for more horses "I believed it to be safe with only D'artaganan and Aramis and the Cadet"

"We will bring them home" Athos nodded before turning to me "I shall be back" he kissed me like no one else was in the courtyard before he and Porthos mounted up and set off out of the Garrison