three

There's a knock at the door. Weak, sounding desperate. I look up from my journal, abandoning the elegant scrawls of lovesick rambling, and walk over to the back door. I turn the doorknob and a trembling figure immediately collapses inside.

He's covered in blood and dirt, shaking from the cold. I kneel, pulling the smaller one close.

"Welcome home, puppy. Are you alright?"

Pete whimpers, pushing closer to me.

"How about a bath?" I ask.

The werewolf nods, and I pick him up, lifting effortlessly and holding him bridal style. I carry him up the stairs and into the bathroom.

"Are you hurt? That doesn't smell like your blood, but it's very mixed."

"N-No, I'm not." Pete stutters. Hot water slowly begins filling the porcelain bath. I lean forward, gently cupping Pete's face in my hands, and press a soft kiss to his lips. Pete smiles, revealing the blood smeared across his teeth.

Once the bath is full, I help Pete into the water, and he immediately lets out a sigh of contentment. I reach for a washcloth and dip it into the hot, still swishing water, then lift up one of Pete's arms.

"I can wash myself, y'know."

"Yes, I know." I reply, running the damp cloth along the caked dirt and dried blood, gingerly washing it away.

"Tonight I need to go out and find a donor." I comment.

"Want any help?"

"You need to rest, pup. But thank you. I'll leave around midnight, and I'll be back before you know it."

"Alright. Is the basement ready?"

I start on the shorter man's shoulder and neck, pressing down harder on the tense sections. "No, that's my plan for today."

"My plan for today is to fucking sleep."

"That's a good plan. Are you hungry?"

"Christ, no."

My eyes darken, a tendon in my neck twitching heavily. I can feel the deep sting as my canines sharpen.

"Sorry, sorry. I'll get better at that."

"It's been about a year, I doubt that it will." I say as my eyes and teeth return to normal. "But I don't mind too much." I brush the washcloth down Pete's torso, over his tattoos.

"Watch those hands, bat boy." Pete warns sleepily, a soft grin tugging at his lips.

I can't help but return my own smile. "You're just so very tempting when you're covered in blood."

"How romantic." Pete giggles.

- - - - -
later that night

Up above, the moon gleams. I look up at it, thoughts of my puppy crossing my mind for a few moments. Those thoughts quickly evaporate as another wave of need hits. My mouth feels dry, and my teeth ache to be buried in the neck of unsuspecting prey. I wisp down an alley, catching a faint scent. My body moves almost involuntarily, chasing the source. I'm on the outskirts of town, an area I frequently haunt for it's bad street lighting and lack of security.

It grows stronger as I round a corner, onto a dimly lit and barren street. My pupils widen immediately when I see the man. He looks middle aged, getting out of his car with a briefcase in hand. Long day at the office? Strange hours? Whatever the case, his blood is calling to me. I skulk back behind the brick corner and watch for a moment, running my tongue over my fangs. His car locks with a chirp and the man begins heading toward an apartment. I look around, sniffing the air. I can't detect any other scents besides his. Quiet as death, I slink towards him with wild eyes.

The man doesn't even have time to scream before I sink my teeth into the side of his neck. I only take a few ounces of blood, to regain my focus, and allow my venom to seep into his veins. Within seconds, he becomes lethargic and stupid. I grin, leaning down and licking the blood from his neck. I sling his arm over my shoulder and wrap mine around his torso, letting the briefcase fall to the cement. We walk back to my car, with him mumbling and laughing to himself as if he were drunk. I set him in the backseat and get into the drivers side, taking a final glance around before turning the key in the ignition.