𝐝𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐛𝐮𝐬 𝐬𝐚𝐜𝐫𝐮𝐦

Começar do início

"Hello, Adeline." She spoke and Adeline recognised the voice, ancient and bold. It was the same one that had followed her into her dreams and rattled around her head since her body stopped dying after Alexandre departed her mind. It was her great-grandmother Helene.

"I am grateful that you have done the right thing." Her voice was soothing, like a quiet lake floating with lily pads.

"I'm dead." Adeline voiced, although it wasn't a question.

"Yes and nature has been restored." Helene said, her hands folded delicately in front of her. She was wearing a black dress, corset tight and neckline high. "We thank you for your sacrifice."

"We?"

"You're family." She spoke, but her mouth was hard and her eyes unkind. She looked a lot like Adeline's mother. "We all watched this unfold, trying to reach you for years. But Alexandre had a tight hold on you, as did your uncle."

"Arthur was trying to help." Adeline felt the prickling of her defence.

"He did more harm than good." Helene scolded. Adeline fell quiet, watching the woman in front of her. "He isn't here with us."

Adeline felt relief flood through her bones. She didn't want her uncle here with these people, they weren't their family.

"He found peace."

"And why haven't you?"

Helene tightened. "There comes a time where we all must pay for the hurt we have inflicted."

Adeline thought back to the Levier history, of the curses and spells, the death and power. Arthur wasn't here though.

"And Alexandre?" She asked, knowing he had returned to this vast darkness that lay beneath death. She was reminded of the fear that flickered in his eyes before she had taken her elixirs all those months ago. "Will he suffer?"

"He will give back what he has taken." Helene spoke coolly.

So, yes. He would suffer. Her heart gave an ached tug.

"Is that why I'm here?" Her voice sounded young, and she supposed it still was in the grand scheme of things. Adeline didn't want to be here, not with these people who have controlled and haunted her. For so long she hadn't cared if she died, but Adeline knows now it was the voice of her ancestors, of the dead that needed Alexandre to come back here where she now was. Adeline didn't wish for death, she just wished for peace.

"No," Helene spoke. "You're here because Alexandre took your life from you. He stole yours to live his, and you've both been existing on his borrowed time."

"What does that mean?" Adeline was so tired. Tired of asking questions, of everyone knowing more than she did, of never knowing what to do.

"It means you spent your life tethered to his death and your time has not yet come. Nature has been restored; the master of darkness is where he is supposed to be. Both of your magic had been linked to sources of ancient twilight that is impossible for you to comprehend. You have a life to continue, but it won't be with the fountains aided by your brother's sins."