𝐜𝐨𝐠𝐢𝐭𝐨, 𝐞𝐫𝐠𝐨 𝐬𝐮𝐦

f o u r t h     y e a r

Weeks passed and Ryland brought Adeline out of her shell. He'd walk her between classes, meet her at the dining hall for meals, follow her up to her rooms during times she would have done alone. Sometimes they'd study, sometimes they would do things other than studying. He'd kiss her and she'd feel that little bloom in her chest grow slightly bigger and she, herself, felt a little bit lighter. There was something, however, that seemed to wilt at his touch, and an uneasiness traced the edges of her brain. But Adeline ignored it.

It was easy to ignore a lot of things, all of those nasty problems she had before when she was with Ryland. For once she allowed herself not to care about the world around her. She just wanted her own little slice of happiness, just this once.

Ryland was sweet and caring, and Adeline found she liked him quite a bit. The day before the final event of the Triwizard Tournament, Ryland found her in the dining hall at dinner. She'd hadn't seen him all day and figured he was ill. She'd planned to visit him after supper.

Dean was across from her eating silently as he read letters from home, brows pinched together. Adeline noticed that was his usual demeanour when he read such material. He had a newspaper beside him, abandoned once he received his mail.

Ryland dropped down beside her, legs on either side of the bench as he smiled with glee. His blonde hair was growing longer, curling behind his neck and ears. Dean looked up at them and shook his head, never a fan of having to be subjected to anything related to sappy romance or couples, especially not the two combined.

"Where have you been all day?" The question was out of her mouth before she could register it.

Get it together, you're perfectly capable of going one day without seeing your boyfriend.

She started, realising that was the first time she'd ever referred to him as such.

Boyfriend. She honestly didn't think she'd ever have one.

Her chest bloomed a little more. A shimmer of discomfort tapped, tapped, tapped against her brain.

"Did you really think I'd miss today of all days?" Ryland looked rather smug at his own words. Adeline rose a brow in confusion. What was so special about today?

"It is your birthday, is it not?" He grinned, happy he'd gotten away with something without her knowing.

Was it?

She checked the date on the newspaper Dean had beside him.

Oh, it was.

Absently, Adeline found herself looking around the crowd of people, unsure what she was even searching for. Still, she found eyes on them, Ari and Amethyst with Honey at the Ravenclaw table. Clearly, no one cared about the seating arrangements. She wondered what they thought of her and Ryland.