𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐚 𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐚𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐚 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐮𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐞

f o u r t h    y e a r

With the Triwizard Tournament hosted at their school this year, practice for the Yule Ball is underway. Time is taken out of lessons so fourth years can have dance practice in their houses. 

Essentially, Adeline is in hell. 

None of the Slytherins have really forgiven her for the whole Pansy stint, with an added bonus of the newest family bombshell that has been dropped - by a professor no less! A few of them approached her afterwards, told her they wanted to protect her if she needed. Maybe they senses a war was coming and thought they'd choose their winning side. 

Adeline had told them to fuck off. 

She can feel eyes on her when she enters, everyone avoids where she stands and sits. Pansy is across the room, scowling at her in a terrified, wounded sort of way. There's an odd thrill, a new sensation that runs up Adeline's spine, created from the knowledge that everyone both hates and fears you. 

It's mildly entertaining to watch Snape instruct everyone on how to dance. Resident grumpy old man teaching the waltz to a bunch of brats he loathes. He tells them all to partner up, his low voice resides within the walls as he turns around to head to the front of the hall. 

Dean makes his way over to her despite the disappointed looks from all the other girls. He offers her his hand, raising his brows with mischief. When she doesn't take it, he looks all sorts of exasperated. 

"Come on, either you take my hand or someone tries to take your head." He muses. 

"I'd like to see them try." Adeline mutters and puts her hand in his in defeat. Snape finally arrives at the head of the hall, his sit on a platform so he can survey the room. 

"I'm sure you would." Dean chuckles, about to be the first to move them to the centre of the room when Snape's voice echoes. 

"In the order of your family's." He commands, slow and patronising. 

Dean and Adeline share a look as she drops his hand, her heart picking up the slightest pace when she understands what Snape is saying. 

Alphabetical order. Isn't that just wonderful. Everyone begins partnering up until only four stand. Dean is yet to leave Adeline's side. 

"Malfoy, you will dance with Miss Levier." Snape announces and the room stops. He stares at Dean with distaste and distrust. Something Adeline had noticed since Dean had arrived, how deeply suspicious Snape seems to be of him. "Draguar you will dance with Miss Edgecombe." 

Dean sighs, a flicker of annoyance in his exasperation, before smoothly making his way over the Slytherin girl in the corner. He whispers something and she giggles, flushed and happy to have the favoured partner. 

The room is still, a moment of hesitation and pregnant pauses. Perhaps Snape knows of the future family plans for the two of them. Playing matchmaker with his students seems a little too fucked up, even for Severus.