"Samuel?"

"Yes, I'm here. I just... I remember the book. Your father had one of very few copies. Then I'm more certain. I have talked to a lot of our kind about the Adamsons, and they all say the same. Stay away."

I waited for the rest, but Samuel didn't speak. "What do you mean, stay away. What are they? How do they know what I am?" I heard his sigh in my ear.

"That's what they tell me. They are an abomination. They have nothing with the gods to do, they are cursed. Stay away."

I frowned, what kind of crap was this?

"They are in MY village; I can't just stay away."

"Try to remain calm, I'm coming up to see you. But I got a job I have to finish first, so it won't be for another two weeks. Can you wait until then?"

My nerves relaxed, knowing that Samuel would be here soon. I nodded before I realised he couldn't see me. "Yes, I'll try. But I can't deny them access to the cafeteria."

"I know, just be careful, will you? I'll cast a protection spell tonight."

I sensed that maybe Samuel knew more about the Adamsons than he told me, he seemed almost afraid. Samuel was one of the strongest witches I knew. So were my parents, look what happened to them. My inner voice was snarky.

"I'll be careful, I always am. Thank you, Samuel, I appreciate it. Say my blessings to Bridget and Sarah, will you."

My mind kept turning after the phone-call, I had even more questions now.

The sun hurt my eyes, sleep had been restless, filled with dreams I couldn't catch. The contrast to yesterday was palpable, and I just waved at Mrs Jensen, not bothering to say hello. I had to look in mum's cookbook for her recipe for the Goodsleep-tea. I knew it had chamomile in it, but I was unsure of the rest. Oscar looked me over when I clocked in but didn't comment the blue rings under my eyes. I didn't get nearly as much tip today, but I didn't earn it either, I thought as I slugged through the day. The clock on the wall seemed to move as drugged, I was so tired. I had two days off after my shift today, so I could sleep in tomorrow. When my shift was finally over, I made Mary make me some food to go, so I didn't have to make dinner when I got home, her lasagne was way better than anything I could make for myself.

 When I got outside, I had to shake my head to see if I was still awake. My bike wasn't where I parked it. I looked around, maybe Paul had moved it? But it was nowhere to be seen. I walked closer and saw my chain had been cut over. I picked up the chain and stared at it, as it would make my bike suddenly reappear. As so many times before, I wished magic was like in the movies, so I could wave my wand and make a new bike. I tossed it to the ground and stamped out of the back alley.

I swore for myself under the sun, pulling up my sleeves. Then I had to smile, the walk wasn't that far, but with my wary body it felt like a marathon. Halfway, I heard a car. It wasn't the first car on the road, but this didn't pass. It came closer and closer, I tried not to turn my head, but curiosity won. The sleek Mustang stopped, and the window rolled down.

"A bit hot for a long walk today."

I turned slowly, he had his arm on the edge, a smile around his mouth. The eyes were covered up by Ray Bans.

"It's a lovely day," was my short response.

My eyes followed the movement of his hands as he beckoned me closer, I saw the muscles in his upper arm move.

"Want a ride?"

"I can walk, thank you."

I tried to will my feet to move, but they didn't listen.

"Oh, come on. I'm trying to get to know the people in town, help me out some."

His smirk made my heart flip, his other hand straightened the rear-mirror before it glided through his unruly hair. I heard the song playing on the radio, Ophelia by the Lumineers. It seemed so normal, before I knew it, I'd taken two steps closer to the car. I saw him check to see if any cars were coming before he opened the passenger door. My heart hammered in my chest, it should have been of fear, but it wasn't.

The door closed with a soft thud, and I took a second to study the car inside, it was so smooth. William lifted his left side of his face in a half grin and stomped the gas while looking at me. The pressure pushed me back in the seat, and I gave a unvoluntary squeal. I didn't have the time to yell at him, he slowed down almost instantly.

"Sorry, just showing off."

I wished I could see his eyes, the way his smile played with me was unsettling. He wasn't a big guy, but he was packed with muscles. The black t-shirt with a Rolling Stones logo seemed old but fit him well. Since he was sitting, I didn't know how his dark jeans fit, but I guessed they would look nice.

"Not the best way to warm yourself into the hearts of the townspeople."

I tried my best sarcastic voice, but it got hitched at the end as his smile grew. I saw the tip of his tongue touching the lower lip for a split second.

"How should I go by then?"

I snorted a laugh and regretted it at once. This was like a game, and he just scored a point. "The best would be for you and your family to leave."

His hand that was on the wheel tightened a bit, but he didn't answer.

"I heard you met my sister."

I nodded, "I had the pleasure, yes." Now it was his turn to laugh, and I felt my own smile form at the sound.

"Then it's a first. She isn't the most charming."

Why was I grinning like a fool? I turned to look out the window, my house wasn't far away.

"You live alone?"

I hesitated, I could lie, but it didn't take many questions to others in town to know my history.

"For now, it's just me. My brother is...on a trip." Maybe I could make him believe he was due home any time now.

"How is it working on the Sunshine Cafe?"

I frowned by his questions, but answered, that one seemed safe.

"I love it, I've been working there for five years now." Before he got to ask another, I asked one in return. "What about you, do you have a job?"

"I'm in the family-business." His hair moved a bit as he nodded to the song, and my mind showed me a vision of me leaning over to stroke it back. I had to clench my hands together to keep them from following up on the image.

"And what's that?"

He glimpsed at me behind the glasses. "We're big in olive-oil."

Not what I was expecting, but I didn't get to ask more, he slowed down the car and pulled into my driveway, you can't see the road from my front-door. There was a very small roundabout in front of the porch, so you could get out easily. He stopped the car right by the steps and turned his whole upper body towards me, and I could smell him, it was a mix of expensive cologne, leather and something wild. He lifted his hand and pulled off the sunglasses. The colour of his eyes seemed even more blue than I remembered, and I felt my breath slow down. Eventually, it was like time had stopped, and I didn't know if I was doing it or him. Hallelujah with Jeff Buckley played quietly in the background, adding to the atmosphere. I could see his pulse on his neck, and I felt the urge to kiss the skin where  it pulsated.

The thought woke me up and I shook myself awake.

"I have to go. Thanks for the lift." He blinked a couple of times, and I relaxed by the sight. He too was affected by whatever had happened. I grabbed my bag and opened the door-I had one foot out when William cleared his throat. I eased myself out of the low car and I had to lean a bit down to hear what he had to say.

"No problem." His smirk was back, as was his shades. The window rolled down as I closed the door. He leaned over to the passenger side, and I heard his voice clearly. "Let me know if you need a ride again, or maybe you have a spare broom you can use."

With that line he spun out of my courtyard, leaving me with my mouth open as I heard his laughter follow the car down the road.