Chapter 5 : Powerless

Start from the beginning

He groaned before slowly lifting his head. He focused his gaze, confusion clouded his features. "Chips?"

I released a sigh as something warm flooded my belly. It's been so long since I heard him say that nickname. I smiled, feeling a tear slip down my cheek. "You're okay."

Cold air puffed out from his lips. He fidgeted in position. "I guess so. Where the heck am I? I thought--"

He grunted when I hugged him tightly around his arms. He relaxed against me, his head nudged mine affectionately as he tried to hug me back. It was then that I noticed his hands were restricted behind him. The sound of clinking metal was enough to tell me they were manacles.

I glanced over his shoulder and recognized the bronze metal. It was forged by Hephaestus. The one thing that could numb all abilities. It explains why he wasn't healing. If Zion saw this, he would tear down the entire forest with the intent of killing Wyatt without a second thought.

I looked around, trying to point out our location. We knelt before an abandoned well. Moss coated its deteriorating bricks and it looked over a century old. Just from the appearance, I knew it was empty and way past its use. But something didn't feel right. A strange air surrounded the structure and it made me uneasy.

How did Pedro get here? More importantly, how did I get here? Because this place feels so real.

I palmed Pedro's face, feeling his shivering skin beneath my fingers. He was cold. I took in the thin shirt he wore. Five buttons were released, exposing his chest. I carefully closed them. "Did Wyatt do this?"

He released an exhausted breath. "It doesn't matter, Pancakes. Are my brothers okay?"

I nodded. "Zion is doing everything he can to find you. And Hunter is safe. Do you know where you are?"

He looked around, taking in the forest. "I'm not sure. The real question is, how did you get here?"

I bit my lip. "I'm just as clueless as you are. But I know my real body is asleep somewhere in Zion's house." I searched his face. "And what's wrong with your eyes?"

He furrowed his eyebrows. "My eyes?"

"They're glowing blue."

The cerulean color was a reminder of the god stirring within him; Poseidon, god of the sea. Normally they glow when he's using his abilities or when Poseidon has ascended. But both weren't happening at the moment. Pedro's irises were chocolate brown, not blue. 

Something's wrong.

A hyena's laugh pierced the forest and tensed. Out of the shadows, a huge dog emerged. Only it wasn't a dog; its hoofs prodded the grass and its hind limbs were shorter than the other two -- like a hyena. It cackled, displaying ridged bony teeth. And its eyes shifted from hot red to purple the moment it landed on me.

A crocotta.

And not just any crocotta. It's Henry. I shifted in front of Pedro, shielding him. Right then another creature walked out from the bushes. It had the body of a lion with a scorpion tail curving skyward. Despite the lion-like features, it had a human face...

Wyatt.

This isn't good. I was surrounded by two enemies and I was powerless. Ever since Liam had disappeared, my abilities have been dormant and it sucked. The manticore bent forward as its skin receded and bones altered. In less than half a minute, Wyatt stood before me in his partial form. His scorpion tail swung from behind.

He grinned, showing canine teeth with a golden tooth. "She took the bait."

"She sure did." Henry had partially transformed and he stood with hands in his pockets. He smirked at me, eyes now a hot pink. "It's been a while since we last saw each other."