Blaise grumbled a reluctant yes, and we agreed to Floo to Diagon Alley after school to shop for costumes.
___

October 31, 1996

"Pucker up," Ginny ordered, lathering pink gloss onto my lips.

When I told Ginny about the Disney couple idea, she squealed in delight and immediately began planning her costume for a certain redhead mermaid princess. Ginny was wearing an elegant purple corset with ruffles, paired with a tight fitted sea green floor length skirt covered in iridescent scales and ended in flowing silk that diverged at her ankles. Her hair was curled to perfection, red ringlets cascading across her shoulders. Plus she made me suggest to Harry and Ron that 'they dress as sailors with inspiration from The Little Mermaid'. "Subtle," I had laughed when she urged me to say this to them. Which I did, of course. They had no other ideas, so Harry and Ron had shrugged and agreed.

"Finished," Ginny declared, hoisting me up onto my feet and bringing me in front of the full length mirror. I inhaled sharply at the sight of the girl before me. I hardly recognized myself. Ginny had straightened my hair out, then curled the very ends so they fell softly across my shoulders. Half of my hair was gracefully swept up, curled into a bun on the back of my head. A thin golden chain with a star rested on my chest, a gift from Pansy. My makeup was simple, and from hearing Pansy and Ginny talk I knew it was only blush and lip gloss and mascara, with a bit of shimmering gold eyeshadow. But the yellow and golden dress is what truly took my breath away. It had a simple square neckline, the fitted bodice glowing in the same shade as my eyeshadow. The skirt flitted around me, descending in subtle layers. The ends of the layers were covered in golden swirls, and peeking out from the bottom were my matching yellow heels.

I turned and hugged Ginny fiercely, getting a brief flashback of this exact moment last Halloween. "Thank you," I said in her ear.

She shoved me off immediately, running her hands over my dress and smoothing it out. "Yes, yes, what would you do without me. But no wrinkling the masterpiece," Ginny insisted, carefully tugging me out the door.

The professors had given us permission to throw the annual costume party in the Great Hall this year. Ginny gave my hand an infinitesimal squeeze before whisking down the stairs, no doubt to walk by Harry and stun him with her utter beauty.

Gulping, I turned the corner and began to descend the stairs, holding my skirts and walking slowly so as to not trip in my heels. At the bottom, Draco was facing the other direction, bouncing on his heels as he waited for me. He turned and stopped frozen when he saw me, his eyes brightening. I smiled, taking in his costume. He was wearing a formal royal blue blazer with a white dress shirt unbuttoned at the neck, with loose black pants and brown dress shoes. His hair hung loose across his face, curling on his forehead. His mouth was slightly agape, and he climbed the steps to meet me, never taking his eyes off of me and stumbling a bit. We met in the middle, right where we had fought more than a year ago. Draco stood before me, eyes gleaming. "Granger..." He cleared his throat, clearly at a loss for words. I smirked, proud that I rendered Draco Malfoy speechless, and leaned forward and kissed his cheek.

Still standing stunned, I interlaced my fingers with his and giggled, pulling him down the rest of the stairs. "You look nice too, Draco."

"Saying you look nice would be the understatement of the century," Draco murmured behind me, his eyes raking down my body.

The Great Hall was still decorated from dinner earlier, with jack-o-lanterns floating in the air. The long tables had disappeared, and instead the floor had turned into a massive dance floor, neon lights flashing throughout the hall. Along the walls were small tables filled with firewhiskey and butter beer.