Chapter 27: Manic Monday

Monday. The day I've been dreading for the past two days. The day I have to go back out into the real world and see everyone. I woke up two hours before my first class was to start. I try to get up from the bed only to be stopped by an arm around my waist. I look over my shoulder to find a very peaceful looking Jonah. His face was soft and relaxed, his hair lays messily over his face.

With some struggle, I manage to get out of his grip. I grab some of the clothes Corbyn and Zach brought, quietly walking into the bathroom to shower. By the time I had gotten out of the shower, I still had an hour and a half until my first class.

Jonah laid asleep on the bed, cuddling a pillow. The rest of the boys were asleep. I was the only one awake within the house. I walk downstairs, quietly walking into their kitchen. I find myself raiding the kitchen, finding everything I need to make pancakes. The pancakes don't take long to cook, and making pancake mix is easy. That being said, I may have made one too many.

Jack walks downstairs, not too long after I made the last pancake. His hazel eyes scan the food before scanning me.

"Peyton, I want you to listen to me okay?" Jack asks and I nod. "You're going to be okay. Today is going to be like every other day. Just take away Nathan. It's going to hurt for a little. But it will get better. I know he hurt you, and I know you're worried, but you'll be okay. The guys and I will protect you. You're one of us now. Alex will protect you as well. You know he will. You, Peyton Marie, will be okay."

I don't reply, because what could I possibly say. Nothing I say will ever show how grateful I am for what Jack just said. Instead, I wrap my arms around him, burying my face into his chest. His head gently sits on top of mine as his arms wrap around me. His hug was warm, loving. It held a sense of protectiveness too.

I pull back, looking at the pancakes then back at Jack. "Want some pancakes?" I ask.

"I thought you'd never ask."

Jack grabs himself grabs some pancakes, picking up another plate for me. Corbyn and Daniel walk down the stairs one after the other doing the same thing as jack.

"These smell so good," Corbyn compliments.

"Thanks, loser," I smile.

Wrapping up the pancakes, I sit them in the fridge, with a note saying 'eat me.' I quickly join the boys at the table, eating my serving. Corbyn and I joked around while Daniel and Jack observed. My phone buzzed, letting me know I had 10 minutes until class. Excusing myself, I walk into the kitchen, putting my plate in the sink. I quietly run upstairs to the guest room where my bag laid. I look over at Jonah, finding him soundly sleeping on his stomach. I pull out a piece of paper, writing a note for Jonah, sticking it on the bedside table.

Hey Jonah,

I had to get to class but thank you for tucking me into bed last night. I made some pancakes, they're in the fridge. I'll see you later.

- Peyton.

Throwing my bag over my shoulder, I quickly walk downstairs.

"Right boys, I'm off to class. Make sure you let Zach and Jonah know there are pancakes in the fridge. I'll see you, dorks, later."

-

I walk with my head down low, ignoring the whispers, ignoring the stares. I wish I didn't make this so public. But when your mind is clouded with thoughts, you don't think about what could happen.

Ignore them, Peyton. You'll be okay. Remember what Jack said. You'll be okay, today is just every other day. The boys will protect me. Alex will protect me.

An arm slings around my shoulder, pulling me into the side of someone. My body stiffens, my breathing hitches.

"Ignore them. They'll find something else to talk about soon," Alex says, easing my stiffness.

"I wish they would find something else to talk about now." I sigh.

Alex walks me to class, making sure I'm okay before leaving. Halfway through class, I feel my phone vibrate, a message pops up on the screen.

Jonah: Goodmorning Peyton, I'm a little hurt I didn't get a goodbye before you left.

Peyton: I'm sorry, I didn't want to wake you. But I made pancakes!

Jonah: I wouldn't have minded if you did. The pancakes were delicious, thank you. I have to get to class, but I'll see you later?

Peyton: For sure.

The rest of the day went by fast. I had a run-in with Nathan and Layla while walking down the halls, heading back to the frat house. Nathan tried to speak. Explain himself. But I cut him off with a raised hand. Silencing him, walking away.

Walking to the front door, I try to open it only to find it locked shut. I knock on the door a few times, waiting for someone to answer the door. Minutes pass with no answer. Figuring no one was home, I search around for a spare key.

There has to be one somewhere.

Aha! The key sits hidden slightly in the plant next to the door. Taking the silver key, I slide it into the hole. The door unlocks with a swift click, the door swinging open. I slip out of my shoes, leaving them neatly at the front door. The house looked empty without the boy's voices wandering around the place. I seemed to be the only one home.

Taking the opportunity to shower in peace, I make my way upstairs. The bed is neatly made, the room is tidy. I walk over to the bag sitting on the floor, opening it with the zipper. I move clothes around in my bag. A familiar black Chicago sweatshirt comes into view, staring me right in the face.

What the fuck is it doing here?