A Miracle in Godric's Hollow

Pairing: Draco Malfoy x Female!Reader

Warnings: she/her pronouns, marriage, discussions of marriage, fluff, happy Draco, good draco.

Word count: 1.1k

--------

Row upon row of tombstones rose from the ground that had been steadily covered in a deep blanket of snow. (Y/N)'s footprints sink deep into the snow; the only evidence of her being here so late at night. The revellers from tonight's service are all long gone and tucked up in bed by the time (Y/N) finds herself at the door of St. Jerome's church, following Draco's instructions.

His note hadn't explained much; a time and a meeting place. Nothing out of the norm for Draco; he was often straight to the point in his notes, only waffling when he let his emotions get the better of him.

She pauses for a moment, just outside of the door to St. Jerome's. The snow reflects the coloured glass; reds, oranges, blues – they dance along the floor, following the flickers of the candles lit inside. Watching the colours dance, it gives her a moment to think about her presence here tonight.

St. Jerome's had always managed to take her breath away. A small village church, but enough for the village in which it sits. The many stained glass windows brightly lit; each one a gift to the church by the prominent families in the village. Each window depicted something different; there was one, towards the front of the church, that showed a young family. A young couple huddled around a child; James and Lily Potter immortalised by the village who loved them so.

The glass lovers watch her as (Y/N) wanders slowly down the middle aisle; the furrow in her eyebrows getting deeper as she finds Draco sat in the front pew, focused intently on the windows that move only for the wizards in Godric's Hollow. His blonde hair still damp from the falling snow; it reflects the light from the candles, giving him an ethereal glow as he focuses on the stained glass windows.

"Draco?" She whispers; not daring to raise her voice higher for fear of disturbing the hallowed.

"(Y/N)?"

Neither get the chance to question the other further; to find out the reasoning for their presence in a church late at night. A priest enters the church from the back room; his white collar standing out amongst the black of his outfit.

"Draco Malfoy and (Y/N) (Y/L/N), I presume?" The priest asks, hands stuffed into the pockets of his trousers.

"Yes?" Draco answers, "How can we help?"

"Do you have the rings?" The priest questions; his wrinkled face beaming with happiness.

"Rings?" (Y/N) asks, her voice reinforcing the shock already written on her face.

"For the wedding," The priest elaborates slowly.

"Who's getting married?" Draco questions

"You two, of course. That's what I was told earlier this evening anyway."

"Who told you this?" (Y/N) demands.

"I cannot remember their name; they only asked for me to be available and that you two would arrive near midnight."

Both Draco and (Y/N) fall silent; their faces displaying the shock they so strongly feel. Neither of them had discussed marriage though they both knew they would be together forever, that there was no-one else for them.

"I'll give you two a moment," The priest announces after the couple remain silent. They thank him each with a nod of their heads as they wander over to the far side of the church, still reeling from the Priest's admission.

"Did you come up with this?" (Y/N) asks breathlessly, eyes darting between the priest and Draco.

The blonde shakes his head. "I was given a note from you at work. It asked me to meet you here at this time."

"I found the same thing on the dining room table when I came home this evening," (Y/N) states; her mind running a thousand miles a minute trying to come up with an answer to this.

"You don't think..." Draco trails off, thinking of the mischievous glint in his friend's eyes as he left work this evening.

"Do I think what?"

"You don't think we've been set up?" Draco asks; glancing around the room, waiting for Harry, Ron and Hermione to jump out of the rafters.

"I'm not entirely sure," She murmurs, joining Draco in glancing around the church.

"Would it be such a bad thing?" Draco murmurs; eyes fixed on her and her alone, "To be married to me?"

It's then that she has her answer. It wouldn't be a bad thing at all to be married to Draco; there was a lot of baggage he carried, but they had managed thus far, and she was happy to continue to halve the burden for him for as long as he would want her.

He was asking for her forever; what he didn't know is that he already had it.

"It wouldn't be a bad thing at all," She answers; a smile already making its way across her face.

Draco responds with a smile of his own. The very sight of it making her heart race. He had always been handsome, even as a teenager, but now with the beginnings of age settling into his skin, Draco greets it graciously.

"Have you made a decision?" The priests asks, his voice wavering with uncertainty as he watches the young couple come to their decision.

"We have," Draco answers. His hand holding onto hers tightly as they return to stand in front of the altar.

------

A plain silver band circles her finger; the matching one found on Draco's hand. Neither bring attention to it, though they had found out after the ceremony who had thought of the whole thing.

"I didn't think you'd do it!" Ron laughs; voice full of joy for his friends when he spies the bands on their fingers. "I thought you'd both show up on my doorstep, kicking down the door to tell me off."

"We didn't find out until after," Draco explains.

"Why did you set it up?" (Y/N) questions, needing to know the motives behind that night.

Ron shrugs, meeting eyes with Harry and Hermione. "I suppose it's because of how well you work together. It's like you were made for each other. I knew Draco was thinking of popping the question, but I also know how into his head Draco gets about such things. We organised it so neither of you had time to overthink."

"I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted," Draco murmurs quietly.

"It was done out of love," Hermione states; eyes bright with her own happiness as the light catches the ring on her own finger.

(Y/N) glances down at her own hand; one that is tangled with Draco's and resting on his thigh as he continues to squabble with Ron. "Thank you," She interjects, interrupting the grown men from their bickering. (Y/N) smiles at Draco before turning her attention to Ron. "Thank you," She states earnestly.

"You're welcome," Ron answers, clearing his throat to rid himself of the sudden emotion clogging it. It was a risk, he admits, but they had never looked happier.

A miracle in Godric's Hollow; Draco Malfoy had found his forever.