First Date

Warnings: post war setting, mentions of food and alcohol, flirting, mutual pining, healer Draco again bc I love him. IT'S ALL FLUFF PEOPLE.

Word count: 2.8k

------

Truthfully, you sent the application off on a night where you were feeling particularly lonely with only your television and a bottle of wine for company. You never expected a phone call a month later asking you to take part in the very TV show you had binge-watched the night of filling out the application.

A rush of adrenaline overtook you; it had you confirming your willingness to take part on the show to the producer on the other end. It had you grinning like someone with a secret as you started to plan the outfit in your head as you rang off with the producer.

Now, six weeks later, you find yourself wandering through muggle London to the restaurant. The wind was cold against your bare legs, but you gritted your teeth against the chill, opening the door to the restaurant and greeting the famous maître d with a smile.

"Are they already here?" You ask nervously as he takes your coat.

His French accent shines as he replies, "He's already at the bar."

"Thank you," You answer; turning your full attention to the bar and feeling something akin to dread settle in your stomach.

Hair that blonde only belonged to one man; one you hadn't seen since the catastrophic battle that left so many dead and injured.

It would seem that fate is happy to continue playing her games; throwing a rogue Draco Malfoy into your path to see how far it throws you off course or whether it helps you carve your own way of life.

With a deep breath, you make your way to the bar. As if knowing his date has arrived, Draco turns, meeting your gaze. "That's one face I didn't think I would see again. (Y/N)," Draco drawls, standing from his stool, "How are you?"

You smile politely towards the blonde, "Draco, I'm good, thank you. How are you?"

He gestures to the empty stool next to him. You slide onto the stool as Draco answers, "I've been well."

"Gin and tonic, please," You say to the waiting bartender who smiles politely

"So you two know each other?" The bartender prompts; handing you your gin and tonic. A distant memory flashes in your mind – loud music, the overbearing smell of firewhisky, Draco's mouth on yours. It had only ever been the one kiss; one that you remembered so perfectly, but one that Draco made look like it never happened.

You smile at the poor attempt at conversation; gesturing between Draco and yourself, "We went to school together many years ago."

The bartenders nods, "And were you friends?"

Draco takes a sip of his lager; letting you answer, "We didn't run in the same circle, but we had a friendship of sorts."

The bartender nods once again; diverting his attention to stocking up clean glasses for future customers. You watch him for a second; the mundane activity distracting you from your purpose tonight.

Shaking yourself out of your reverie, you turn your attention back to Draco, "How long has it been since we saw each other?"

Draco whistles, "I think close to six or seven years now."

You nod; sipping at your gin and tonic, enjoying the tart taste, "It doesn't feel like that long."

Draco smiles, "It doesn't. It feels like just yesterday I was annoying you in the library."