Idol

Summary: Bookshops, book signings. 

Warnings: none - fluff.

Word count: 2.3k

-----

You unzip your jacket the moment you enter the warm shop. Draco copies your movement, unbuttoning his suit jacket underneath it too.

You shake your head at him fondly. Only he would dress so formally to an event such as this one.

The welcoming scent of old books and worn pages washes over you as you step further into the bookshop. Your stomach had been full of butterflies all day for you were finally meeting your favourite author after being a fan for so long. Draco had surprised you with tickets to the event for your birthday knowing how much you adored her books but how rare it was for her to travel to the UK.

Draco follows you to where chairs have been set up in expectation. He leans close to your ear, murmuring, "Where are we sitting then, love?"

"I don't want to seem too eager by sitting right at the front, but I'd like to have a good view and be able to hear her."

Draco smiles, "What about the third row?"

You nod, letting him lead to two seats furthest from the aisle. You sit in the final seat; turning your body diagonally for a better view. Draco sits in the seat beside you, carefully placing your bag of books down on the floor in front of him. He had insisted that he be the one to carry them as you had piled six hardback books into the bag after long consideration over which books you would take to be signed. Eventually, you decided on the original hardbacks of the series that made you fall in love with the author in the first place. Nostalgia and sentimentality winning the battle of choice.

A hand on your knee makes you realise that your leg was bouncing with nerves and excitement.

"You okay?" Draco asks, eyes searching your face.

"Nervous. Excited."

Draco chuckles, watching you fondly. From his happier moments at Hogwarts, he remembers you walking around with your nose permanently hidden away in a book. There was always one series that you would return to over and over again – rereading the first books then reading the new book when it was released. He never stopped noticing how much you adored this author, even after you fell in love with him. He didn't need to understand your love for this particular muggle author; he just accepted it as part of you. So when he caught wind that she was visiting the UK on a book tour for her most recent work, he immediately bought tickets and surprised you on your birthday.

It was the hardest secret he has ever kept from you. It was the only secret he has ever kept from you.

"Are you happy with your choices of books?" He asks, tucking a stray strand of hair behind your ear.

You nod, grinning, "Very happy. And I get doubled signed thanks to you coming with me."

"What better use of your partner is there?"

"Very true."

"Have you thought of any questions you'd like to ask her?"

You bite your lip, "I have but I don't know if I want to ask anything."

"Why not?"

"What if I mess up and make a fool of myself in front of her?"

"Then I'll have to make a bigger fool out of myself to take the attention away from you."

You sigh, sliding further into your seat, "I can't help but wonder how you'd do that."

"I won't need to," Draco reassures, "You aren't going to mess up."