Signet Rings and Promises [blurb]

It had been a long night. Scratch that, it had been a long day and night. Work was taxing that was quickly followed by a school reunion at Hogwarts. Truthfully, you hadn't expected Draco to attend. More than happy to spend the evening on the couch with the man you loved, but he was adamant he wanted to go so you attended.

The night was going swimmingly until you had spoken to some old friends; greeting them with a wide smile and laughter as you caught up on the years past. It was through this conversation that Draco tensed up; muscles going stiff as he caught sight of the light touches placed on your arm by a man you had attended Hogwarts with. Draco didn't know his name nor did he have any desire to learn. All he wanted was for him to stop speaking to you.

From there, the night wound down and you found your way home. Draco had barely shrugged off his jacket before throwing himself onto the couch with an aching sigh.

You follow the blonde, dropping your bag on a side table. You find Draco with his arm thrown across his face, breathing deeply as he tries not to think of the events from tonight.

"What happened tonight?" You ask quietly, sitting next to him.

"I didn't like how he was with you," Draco states plainly, not wanting to be reminded of the easy laughter that fell from your lips as you spoke to your old friend.

"You're jealous, aren't you?" You ask, amused at the frown growing on Draco's face.

"I'm not," He huffs, crossing his arms.

"Yes, you are. You have no reason to be," You state proudly. "Want to know why?"

"Why?"

You pull a long, silver chain from your shirt. On it dangles a platinum signet ring, stamped with the crest of the Malfoy family. "I have this," You show, "You gave me this and I treasure it every day."

Draco remains silent; taking the ring from your fingers. The action brings him closer to you; you wrap your arms around his neck as you settle on Draco's lap. Running a hand through his hair, you murmur, "It's fine to be jealous so long as you know I'm only ever going to return to you."

"It's just..." He begins before stopping, shaking his head, "It's nothing. Never mind."

"It's clearly something if it's got you this worked up. What's wrong, my love?"

Draco sighs, trying to ignore the ache in his chest. "I saw how easy it was for you to laugh with your friend tonight. You were so relaxed, so happy. I couldn't help but get jealous of what your life would be like if you weren't with me."

"Oh Draco," You coo, "I love my life with you. I wouldn't trade it for the world."

"You wouldn't?"

"I wouldn't," You promise, "Who would sing as they make me breakfast? Who would leave me notes on the mirror when I'm in the shower? Who would meet me at work to travel home together? Draco, my friend from Hogwarts wouldn't do a single one of those things."

"He wouldn't?"

You shake your head. "You're everything I could want and more. Who else would give me their signet ring as a promise for the future?"

Draco nods, still holding the ring in his hand. "It's more of a certainty."

"Is it?" You ask, delight taking over your features.

Draco hums, tucking the necklace back where it belongs. "It is," He answers before tugging you down for a kiss, ending the night on a high.