Trip to Hogsmeade

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, that was me," he said. "I didn't realize you were that close."

"It's okay," she said, still breathing heavy due to the scare.

"Here." He ran his hand down her arm and held her hand. "Now we can keep track of each other."

Sarah was glad her face was invisible. 

The rest of the journey proved uneventful, but Barnaby didn't let go of her hand as they walked through the village. Despite Hagrid's warnings, there was no sign of any Death Eaters at this time of morning. The Main Street was deserted and nearly all the shops were closed up. They found the pub with no trouble, and Sarah was able to open the locked door with a simple Alohomora. 

The Hog's Head was as dingy and dark as Sarah remembered it, but it was also completely empty. 

"Abeforth's probably still asleep," she muttered. 

"Should we call him? Or just wait?"

Sarah didn't like the idea of waiting; the longer they stayed here the more likely it was that they'd be discovered, or that Grawp would go on a rampage. 

"Um, excuse me, Mr. Dumbledore?" she called, "Sorry to bother you this early, but we really need your help. Uh, Mr. Dumbledore? Aberforth?"

"Oi, what's this mad goat doing down here?!" Barnaby yelled. 

They didn't have to wait long. 

"Get out of my pub whoever you are, and leave the bleeding goat alone! I ought to--"

Aberforth appeared on the staircase that led to his living quarters, wrapping a dressing gown around himself. He stopped, peering around the pub with narrowed eyes.

"Who's there? Where are you?"

"It's Barnaby Lee."

"And Sarah Spellman."

Abeforth finished tying his robe, then pulled his wand out from under his night cap. 

"That supposed to mean anything to me?"

"Oh come on, you don't remember the students that were always coming here when they weren't allowed?"

"Lots of students do that."

"We formed an illegal organization in this pub, and held regular meetings about murder and revenge?"

"That doesn't narrow it down as much as you'd think."

Sighing, Sarah waved her wand in a circle around herself and Barnaby, and the charm faded away. 

If anything, the barman just glared at them with more suspicion. "What have you done with my goat?"

"Nothing," said Barnaby quickly. "I just said that to get you to come down. Have you really got one in here?"

"No! Mind your own business."

"Look, Hagrid sent us," said Sarah. "We could use some help."

"Oh ho!" Aberforth moved to stand behind his bar, placing his hands on it and leaning over at them. "I heard about his little escapade yesterday. Don't tell me you two actually attended that ridiculous party!"

"It wasn't really by choice," Sarah muttered, and the barman threw back his head and laughed. 

"I told Hagrid it was a dumb idea. I told him no one was gonna come rescue him after he'd pissed off the Death Eaters. The Order's finished. You-Know-Who's won. And now, of course, he comes crawling to me for help."

"The Order isn't finished," said Sarah. "We're still fighting. You're still here."

"The Order is finished," he repeated. "I don't know who you are, but you best be forgetting the Order and keep your head down. You might just survive to live as long as me."