Chapter 4 Ayutthaya (Maria)

Start from the beginning

"It looks like you made that girl's day," Maria said.

"She hasn't met a falang she can speak to before. She didn't know what to make of me."

Further up the train, the mom and daughter peeked around their seats. Mitch waved and said, "Sawatdee krap," loud enough that the girl giggled again.

The man could be a sweetheart when he desired. Maria struggled to imagine him as some sleazy guy feeling up some stranger at the bar or waking up in their beds. While being kind and engaging with children weren't exclusive to people interested in serious relationships, he seemed to enjoy interacting with the kids, as a father would with his daughter. But Maria wouldn't open her mouth and ruin the trip this early.

After an hour, the snack cart rumbled behind them again, and Mitch craned his neck. "Still craving pork floss?"

Her stomach grumbled despite the snacks they'd eaten after he met her outside the church like he usually did. "I should wait to get actual food in town."

As the cart passed, Mitch conjured a twenty baht note and traded it for the snack before she could protest. He tossed the bag to her. "Sun loved these."

Mitch was the only person she'd heard use that nickname for her cousin. "Why do you call her that?"

"Sun?" Mitch laughed. "At first, to annoy her, then it stuck."

Maria tore open the package and offered some to him. Her mouth watered at the salty scent. "I'm surprised you haven't given me one."

He grabbed a handful and leaned back. "I could call you Ma if you're feeling left out."

"Ma? Got some unresolved Mom issues I don't know about?" she joked. The savoury pork floss melted on her tongue like an ice cube would in this heat.

Mitch grinned. "Only if you want to help me fix them."

Could that be part of his behaviour towards women? His mother had abandoned him, and he wouldn't give anyone the chance to do the same. He had admitted weeks ago the most important people in his life were in Thailand.

He shook his head. "You're reading into that, aren't you?"

"It's nothing to be ashamed of."

He took her hand in his. "It was a joke. I grew up with two normal, supportive parents, in a quiet neighbourhood. Worrying about my childhood discredits those who've suffered. You had it worse than I did."

"Mine was fortunate considering what I've heard from friends at church."

"You went through more than me."

"That's why God gives us family."

Mitch's grip on her hand tightened before he let go.

Her skin prickled with a sudden breeze from the open window. "Sorry, I shouldn't have brought up—"

"Don't apologize for what you believe. You've never forced it on me, and as long as you don't plan to, you can talk however you want."

She popped another piece of pork floss in her mouth.

The rest of the two-hour train ride flew by just like the greenery and passing stations as conversation flowed from their lips about everything from the foreign snacks and drinks coming through the aisles to the potential lives of the passengers.

Once they'd arrived, Mitch took her to a ferry. It felt like a small industrial watercraft, but it was cheap and worked. From there he found a hotel that would rent them bikes and sold water bottles.