Prologue

~

~

"God, I can't believe I got assigned to a town so far out of the way. I guess it's better this way though. Safer."  At the beginning of this year, Japan issued a mandate stating that every town, city, and province have one hero per one thousand people. The mediocre pro-hero, Nightbolt had been assigned to the small countryside town of Watamatsu per the new national mandate in collaboration with the Hero Network. As his small rental car made it closer and closer to the edge of town, he could hear the engine start to sputter before slowing to a full stop just a couple of miles shy of the town border. With an exasperated sigh, Nightbolt exited the vehicle. "Could my day get any better," he mocked.

Under the dry summer heat, he trekked from his broken-down rental car to the new town where he would live out the next couple of years of his life.  Nightbolt saw the first building he had seen for miles and happily picked up his pace before slamming face-first into a clear forcefield. Confusion took over his face as he put his hand onto the invisible barrier. Energy seemed to pulse off of it and if he put some strength into it, the barrier seemed to bend. He pushed even harder, his hand going through and immediately being pushed back out with great force.  A yelp escaped his throat as scarlet red emanated from the hole he had made in the barrier.

"What—what is this?" a pro-hero exclaimed as he looked up at the small town enclosed with red energy at its border. The mediocre pro-hero, Nightbolt, slowly backed away from the ominous red energy, fearing the worst sort of villain to be the center of it. The only comfort he had gotten from his lackluster placement was that it would be safer. Now, here he was face-to-face with a massive, angry, red energy field. How could he go up against a villain with this much power? The best thing for him to do was to run away and ask for help through the Hero Network.

~

The crisis was labeled as an S-level threat on the HN as seemingly an entire town was trapped in this "Hex". The response came quickly with the police force and powerful pro-heroes arriving within hours. Seeing as this type of crisis would require precision and delicacy, as well as power, Eraserhead and Edgeshot were on the scene; as well as the famous Symbol of Peace, All Might. The police were trying their hardest to pinpoint the exact timeline of events, with rookie detective Naomasa Tsukauchi running point. The hero force was truly pulling no stops for this mysterious, but powerful, threat and cooperating with the police force entirely. 

"It looks like this bubble—"Tsukauchi started.

"Hex! We're calling it a Hex, 'cause it's shaped like a hexagon," All Might interjected. Eraserhead, Edgeshot, and Tsukauchi deadpanned at the useless interruption.

"Okay, it looks like this Hex was created almost 4 years ago," Tsukauchi resumed, "I have no idea how these huge, red walls went unnoticed by the surrounding towns, or how it went under the radar for that long, but the last recorded interaction with anyone inside of Watamatsu was 4 years ago," he explained.