Level VIII

Y/n's POV:

Several trials passed and neither Laurie nor me had touched on that subject; I didn't know whether or not she had accepted to keep what I had told her to herself, but I felt the atmosphere in the camp had drastically changed...we no longer talked around the fire, or laughed to try to forget the constant horror that haunted us...none of these was done anymore. I saw their neutral expressions that never changed, both when they entered and when they left for the trial.

I was sure it was my fault. Ever since I got there and met those guys I always thought we had different ideas; I had the impression that I was the only one who really wanted to get out of there. Well, I couldn't deny that I had lost my sense firstly, but I wasn't crazy and my intentions were serious.

The only person I could really talk to was Jake. I felt that I could talk about anything with him, until he sighed too and gave me the same answer as everyone else.

《I understand what you mean, but believe me when I tell you that I have done everything to find a solution...but there is no way out of here, Y/n.》

And he was right. However, I didn't believe it...maybe, I was really crazy and Jake couldn't help but look down when he heard my answer.

《There must be another way, I know. We just have to look for it.》

Jake carefully stared into my eyes to try to find my weakness that would lead me to surrender. It was true that those words were meaningless, but I knew they wouldn't be forever if I reacted.

Suddenly, Jake would change the subject and ask me how I was after that incident in the basement, but I told him that it was over and that I didn't want to talk about it again, especially with him, the only witness to what had happened.

Then, he asked me about us. He asked me what I thought of him and if I understood his feelings.

Honestly, Jake was the only guy who had been close to me from the start. If I had accepted what he felt for me and if I had stayed by his side, perhaps I would have seen this reality with different eyes, aware of the fact that there was a person by my side who would never abandon me.

《Jake, you are a wonderful person...but...》

But what? Why couldn't I look at him differently from now?

I knew the reason, but I didn't want to admit it, not in front of him...in my mind there was always Michael Myers who troubled me.

- - -

Jake's POV:

This girl was amazing. No matter how many times I told her it was useless to try to escape from here, she kept repeating that it wasn't, that there was another way somewhere to leave that nightmare definitely.
This was the first thing that took my attention about Y/n; her determination and the will to never give up, despite the difficulties.

But I felt like a pain in my chest. Although I spent a lot of time with her, I couldn't really feel her next to me. Even though she looked me straight in the eyes, her head was lost elsewhere.

《Y/n, what are you thinking?》  I squeezed more and more my fingers intertwined with each other.  《Or, who are you thinking...?》

I wasn't wrong and her gaze couldn't lie.

《What are you talking about? Didn't you hear what I just said?》  Of course, I knew she would be impatient and that meant my doubts had been confirmed.