Chapter 38

I looked in the bathroom mirror of the Wynn resort bridal suite, and smoothed over my wedding dress, making sure the whole thing sat right. My dress was super long and flowy with a sweetheart neckline and a fanned out skirt. It had thinnish straps and a low back with crystals outlining it. It was far from the new 80's puffy sleeves but I liked the simplicity and elegance. We decided to pick a venue that was small and intimate but this place surpassed our expectations. There were the most stunning bouquets of flowers dotted around the place, a bird cage with a tonne of foliage and fairy lights, and candles that lined up the aisle with white rose petals.

"V!? You almost ready?"

I snapped away from my thoughts and turned around to see Sharise and Athena peering around the door frame in their pastel blue bridesmaid dresses, smiling at me. Sharise had some half up, half down thing going on and Athena was a true 80's chick, her hair was all curly and wild. Their make up was simple. Blue eyeshadow, a tonne of blush and a roller ball lip gloss. I'd opted for a side parting with some loose, wavy curls and simple, elegant make up that really bought the focus to my eyes.

Me and Tommy realised we needed two witnesses and we didn't want just two randomers off the street to be part of something so special, so we drove back home and told everyone to pack a bag because we were going to Vegas to get married. They all thought we were batshit crazy, and maybe we were, but to me and Tommy it felt right.

"I think so!" I squealed. "How do I look?" I asked as I pressed against my lashes to make sure the corners were stuck down.

"You look stunning!" They said in sync.

We all burst into laughter but stopped when Vince opened the door. "You girls almost ready?" He smiled, dressed in a tux the guys had all hired.

"Yeah! Oh! Vinnie... your tie" Sharise groaned as she fixed it for him.

Vince looked up but glanced over to me and rolled his eyes.

"Alright! Let's get going before Tommy changes his mind" I giggled as I picked up my bouquet of white roses from off the counter.

"Dude! I can't wait for you to be my sister... I mean... you kinda already are but at least now it'll be legal" Athena smirked as she stopped and gave me a hug.

I could feel the emotions starting to get to me but I pulled it together as she let go. I took one last look of myself in the mirror, making sure I looked perfect for Tommy, and headed for the door but Sharise stopped me.

"What's wrong?" I asked quietly as I frowned at her slightly.

"Nothing!"

"You're not gonna try and talk me out of this are you?" I groaned.

"No! Of course not! I've just... I've got something for you" she smiled, hiding her hands behind her back.

"What!? Sharise! What is it?" I squealed.

"Do you remember when we were kids? And we'd always go to that thrift store on the weekends and play with all the clothes?" She asked.

"Yeah?"

"Well, remember that time Mrs Goldsmith let us try on all the bridal stuff she got from that fashion show and we were walking round with veils on our heads playing with those second hand Cindy dolls? And we went over to that cabinet she kept all the good stuff in?"

"Yeah! She had all the tiaras in there... and that hair comb with all the crystals and stuff on!" I said giddily. I couldn't forget that day, it was the first good day I had since things started to get really bad at home. Me and Sharise would head to the thrift store a couple of streets away and hang out in there for hours. Mrs Goldsmith, the owner, knew us and knew our circumstances... everyone in town knew our circumstances so she'd let us play around in there and let us take a book and a toy home each week. She was a real darling, she was the one that actually taught Sharise how to sew and put things together.