Chapter 61: I did

Start from the beginning

We both looked at him. "You disagree? He should have taken my memories?"

William shook his head no. "No. I mean, I think you did the right thing in taking her from this pack."

"You do?" I asked incredulously. He wanted to be away from his mate for all that time? I frowned. Glad I meant so much to him.

His eyes darted to mine for a moment, most likely hearing my thoughts. "Not like that." He turned back to my dad. "I've talked with another Alpha. Alpha David. He was Alpha over Ruth's cousin, the last healer at Fremont. He thinks Kara was better off growing up away from all the publicity that could have risen from her gift. And I agree. Mr. Day, I think what you did was what needed to happen to keep Kara safe. I believe you were right that someone would have tried to cause her harm."

Dad was quiet a moment and then nodded. "Thank you Beta." He turned to me. "I still apologize about taking your memories."

I gave a half smile. "I know. I forgive you." I then turned to William an eyebrow lifting. I hadn't heard of him talking about my upbringing to Alpha David. When was he going to tell me his theories about keeping me safe?

He reached for my hand and answered my thoughts. "I'm sorry too."

Rick's head was still bowed in strong submission to the table, eyes never coming back up.

"What are you doing here?" I asked the two, when quiet arose.

My dad sat forward, fingers threading together over the table. "I come to seek readmittance to this pack. My whole life's mission for the last twenty years has been to keep Kara safe. With her no longer being in Seattle, I have nothing there. She has offered the place of me coming back and I wish to take her up on it."

William let the words sink in.

I had asked him to come back at our last contact. Had I offered it to him like a binding contract?

William nodded. "That can be arranged. I can speak to Alpha Eric on your behalf. I'd imagine the council will gladly allow you a place back at this pack. And I think Kara would really love to have you here."

It wasn't the right time to tell him about him being a grandfather, but I inwardly smiled considering how'd he'd react when it was. He'd surely be over the moon.

My dad gave a slight head bow to William's power. "Thank you Beta William. I may be much older now, but I am still just as strong and healthy. I would make a good part of any construction or patrol team. Just let me know where I am needed."

"We will do that."

Both William and my eyes set on Rick then. If Dad wanted to be readmitted to Hightop, then they weren't there seeking to start a new pack. What did Rick want?

Rick was trembling enough that my dad spoke for him. "Me and Ricky here had quite an interesting last few weeks, haven't we?"

Rick swallowed loud enough to sound through the small room and gave a single nod, eyes still lowered. "Yes sir."

"I was rather unhappy to find a raging lunatic yelling on my front porch at sunrise about two weeks back. He was yellin' some very unkind things about my only daughter. When he talked about shooting... and well I'd rather not repeat his filthy words, you can imagine my inner wolf was not going to tolerate that after I'd tried so hard to protect her for so many years."

"Sorry sir," Rick whispered weakly.

My dad patted him on the back, but it was not friendly. It was more a play of power. "I'm not proud to say it, but my wolf got the better of me to know that he put my pup in that much trouble."

"You transformed?" I asked cautiously.

"Yup," he stated, still sitting tall in his chair, nearly hovering over Rick. "My wolf went after him."

"And you bit him?"

Dad's eyes finally came back to me, arm setting back from Rick. "Well yes. I did a lot more than just bite him. And he did a lot more than that to me."

"What did he do to you?" I asked confused. Had Rick gone on a shooting spree again?

"It was a full-on fight after that, baby. I can't imagine what the neighbors must have thought. Luckily it was pretty early so not that many people would be looking out at two wolves fighting up and down the street."

"Two?" I exclaimed.

"Yes, two."

"I... I don't understand. He transformed right away?" I stammered and looked at Rick. "Was it the full moon night? I thought new wolves only transformed on the full moon."

"They do," William cut in, looking between the two men, a strange understanding on his face. "He was already a wolf at that point."

Dad nodded. "As soon as I pounced, he shifted under me. He was still new at it, so I got a good few kicks in before he was back at me."

I stared wide eyed at my dad. "Wait. You didn't turn him?"

"No baby."

William was sitting tall, but his voice was thin. "I did."