Chapter 59: Heartbeat

KARA/CAROLINE

I was staring over Mr. Brock in what a basic kitchen would look like if walls and floor were made of clouds. A beautiful bald woman with rosy cheeks sat by him at the floating table, hand over his. He was on the phone with the head of some local church.

"What do you mean, there's no Sister Missionaries by that description? They were here yesterday! We want them back!"

He looked to his wife and shook his head, then hung up the phone.

"Not that church 'neither."

She grinned, a lovely bright smile. "Dear, we won't find them. They were angels. Sent from above. We've been given a miracle."

He pulled her into a hug, a tear sliding down her face.

Suddenly the scenery changed, and I was in the center of a beautiful field of daisies. White delicate flowers could be seen for miles. It was magnificent and serene.

"Kara?" A deeper masculine voice turned me around.

It was my favorite movie star, dressed in a holy sexy formal kilt. "Wowzers!" I told him, eyes traveling up and down over his delicious frame.

Then we were on the set of some highland show, maybe Ireland and now the red headed werecreature woman I healed was walking a path away from us.

How'd I get to Ireland?

Oh!

Oh!!

I get it!

It was a dream!

I leapt at my sexy actor, frantic to feel this gorgeous man's lips...

Only to stop and completely back up from him instead.

Wait.

"What's the matter my angel?" He stepped after me, arms open in desire.

And I woke up.

Then I groaned loudly and annoyed.

My eyes opened to my bedroom back in the pack, William's head resting on my stomach.

I sat up quickly, his head falling to my lap and then he sat up rubbing his neck. "Well good morning to you too."

I pushed on his shoulders and he plopped down to the pillow allowing the movement. He was smiling an ear-to-ear smile that got me laughing too.

"William!" I chuckled and fell back to my own pillow.

"What?" He leaned up on one arm, hovering over me. "What'd I do now?" He reached down and started rubbing a warm hand over my stomach.

I exhaled a laugh. "You ruined my lucid dreams, that's what! I was off with my favorite actor and we were going to..." then I stopped not wanting to admit what I usually do with that actor in my dreams... "to go bungee jumping..."

He chuckled, knowing exactly that I didn't mean bungee jumping.

... "and what's the first thing I think? 'Wait. What if this isn't a dream after all?' And then I got all hesitant and didn't want to ...jump."

He laughed, straight up laughed in my face, and leaned back down, head going back on my midsection. "Good. I don't want you kissing other men, even in your dreams. Especially not your kind of lucid dreams."

I giggled being caught red handed and his head bounced with my stomach. I combed my fingers through his hair. "Why are you laying on me?"

"Just making sure."

"Making sure what?"

He twisted to a sitting position and roamed a hand over my belly. "You're pregnant love."

I laughed as it had only been one night. "You think? I guess we'll find out in a few weeks."

"No Kara. I mean you're already pregnant." He looked serious.

Scooting up the headboard, I watched his hand. "You think so?"

He grinned wide. "I can hear the heartbeat."

I slapped his hand away with a groan. "William!" I laughed at his mocking. "There won't be a heartbeat for like three more weeks. We barely started trying last night. Implantation of the cells wouldn't have even happened yet."

He leaned back down, moving my sleep shirt out of the way and placed his ear under my belly button. He started making a series of quick rhythmic dub-dub sounds. "It's light, but it's there. It's different than yours. So much faster."

"What? Really?"

He leaned up on one arm. "Three weeks for a heartbeat? Would that make it the night of the reception?"

My hands came to cup around my nose and mouth. "Are you serious?"

He grabbed my hands and pulled them down. "It would make sense why your inner wolf was so persistent."

I leaned my neck over the headboard. "Oh my gosh. Not only can you lose your... well... it can be a first time in a dream, now you can get pregnant too."

He chuckled. "That's something they don't tell you in sex ed." He pulled my head back to meet his gaze. "What do you think?"

"About what? You mean that I'm already pregnant?" I gave a smile and a shrug. "It feels sudden. But I'm happy if you are."

He pulled me into his arms, my forehead nuzzling into his neck and he kissed the top of my head. "I'm happier than I've ever been Kara."

I beamed, my teeth trying to catch my lips and hugged tight into him. It was like I was the happiest I'd ever been too.

He leaned back and a warm hand caressed my cheek. "Better get Catherine over here if Blake doesn't have her on house arrest. We need to paint the workout room as a nursery after all."

"She's going to flip. You only heard a bit of it. I heard eight driving hours of 'we have to have babies at the same time' brainwashing."

He chuckled and sat back against the headboard, bringing me to rest on his chest. "I like her."

"She's crazy, but fun."

"Do we tell her first? Or maybe my parents? Do we try to keep it a secret for a while longer?"

I snuggled into his side. "I don't know. Probably better tell Catherine first? We won't hear the end of it if she hears it through the grapevine."

He guffawed. "I can see her actually trying to kidnap you across state lines."

I leaned up. "She probably would."

"Okay. We'll tell her first."

"What are wolf pregnancies like? Do I go get a test from Dr. Nyx to be positive?"

He smirked. "I wouldn't know love. I've never been pregnant."

I smacked his abs. "Oh shut up. You know what I meant."

"I know. I guess you could try to go get a test, but I'm guessing a heartbeat is a pretty sure sign though."

I smiled and cuddled back into his side. "Yeah, a heartbeat is pretty sure."

His fingertips roamed up and down my arm and back. "What do you think it'll be?"

"Hmm... maybe a Labrador?"

He laughed and shook his head. "You know what I meant."

"I don't know. I'd be happy with either gender." I leaned up to meet his gaze. "Only one heartbeat, right?"

He nodded. "Too bad. I would have loved to see you with a blue bundle in one arm and a pink in the other."

I winked. "There's always next year."

He kissed my cheek. "I'd like that."