Chapter 5: Enchroaching Mist

2 months after The Fall

--------------------------------------------------------------

Just about any person you meet along whatever road life takes you will have some sort of story to tell, and I would wager that some of the most profound conversations you've ever had, maybe not the most, but one of them, was with a complete and utter stranger.

This of course makes complete sense. People interact with at the very least dozens of others on a daily basis, and at the very least, five of them will be complete strangers. You're bound to hear something worthwhile with that many new faces.

Think for a moment, even our closest friends, were complete strangers at one point.

A crushed sigh escaped parched lips as the morning light seeped through the curtains of the fairly plain bedroom, resting directly in the eyes of the beds only occupant. Grumbling in annoyance, she attempted to block the sunlight peering in through the window on her right, not keen at all on waking up.

But, she couldn't anymore.

A grimace etched itself onto Yang Xiao Longs face as she forced herself upright in her bed, forcing herself to look forward to the other side of the room. She didn't want to look down.

She wanted to believe that if she ignored her missing arm. It would come back somehow. That she would wake up from this horrible dream, and things could go back to the way they were. Back to Beacon with her team, her family.

She hardly had a family anymore. Her mother was, well, her mother. That is to say she was god knows where. There was always her father, but he hadn't changed much. And everything else had. Her own sister had run off in search of murderers. Weiss, her crazy father dragged her back to Atlas right after the Fall. And Blake...ran...

That hurt more than anything. She just...ran! After Everything! It rattled Yang to her core, a semester of doing her best to show that she wouldn't turn her back, Blake turned on her instead.

But why was she wasting her time thinking about it.

'Nothings gonna change...'

Before she even knew it she was dressed and downstairs, sitting on the couch in her living room. Looking out the front window, it was already noon. Every day was like this now. It seemed to just fly by. Like time wasn't even passing. Like she was living in a dream.her gaze rested square on the treeline that surrounded the quiet home.

She made many memories in that forest. Grew up playing with her sister. Killed her first Beowulf. Laughed. Cried. Caught a glimpse of the incarnation of death. And almost died.

Lots of memories...

Evening struck like lightning as she found herself back in her room, staring out her bedroom window at the setting sun.

'Have you tried it on?'

The memory crashed through her mind like a freight train.

'No. I...everything's different now. I'm just kind of...used to this now. There's no point...'

'Look Yang, I cant make you do anything, Oum knows I'd fail if I tried, but I'm your father for crying out loud. I only want whats best for you. And I know that sitting here, wallowing in yourself is killing you.'

...

'I cant make you do anything, but I know this isn't what you want Yang. I know that in almost any other circumstance you'd be right there with your sister. You two were always inseparable like that. I'm worried about her, but she's a strong girl, and Soran only made her stronger. I know that she'll be alright.'