Chapter 25 - Downpour Sets the Fire Ablaze

Start from the beginning

Jin Ling frowned. "How come?" He didn't understand the dangers underlying in this case.

Wei Wuxian proposed, "You're in charge of telling Jiang Cheng about this fire. There is an enemy inside Yunmeng Jiang. Jiang Cheng needs to know this as fast as possible. Jin Ling... you're always fast on your feet, so I'll entrust this to you."

Jin Ling fell silent. He was taken aback by the sudden compliment and trust.

His soft expression had hardened. He nodded, "Alright. I'll tell Uncle about this, and let him make the next decisions." Jin Ling left as soon as he was given the mission.

Not even his shadow could be traced.

Wei Wuxian relaxed. He just wanted to get his nephew out of this mess... as quick as possible. He stretched his limbs, then gestured to the remaining couples, "Let's get a move on."

*****

They disguised themselves.

This time, Xie Lian didn't feed them a "changing gender" pill. Instead, they pulled a hood over their heads, hoping to block their faces from the enemy's vision.

The woods rustled to the thick smell of fire. Smoke clogged the couples' sense of smell, and also infiltrated at the back of their throat. The three couples held their breaths, as they sprinted into the forest of blue fire. The six figures were fast and keen. One moment you lay your eyes on them, the next second you blink, they're gone from your sight.

"The enemy mustn't have gone too far." Luo Binghe was for sure of this fact. It had only been a few minutes since the fire was ignited. Within that time lapse, the enemy couldn't have left Yunmeng Jiang's borders.

With that to their advantage, the three couples could search everywhere in Yunmeng Jiang for the culprit.

"The fire's origins seemed to be located a kilometre ahead." Xie Lian pointed out.

The closer they were to the origin, the hotter the temperature was.

Beads of raindrops fell over the three couples' bodies, but it not diminish the heat of the fire. Instead, the temperature of the fire had risen!

Hua Cheng's expression was ugly. He didn't think something like this would've happened.

"We're close." Shen Qingqiu felt around his surroundings. "Approximately 500 more metres." He measured while running by the other couples' sides.

The rain fell over their hoods, weighing their clothing down slightly.

The three couples continued running. Even if the fumes of the smoke were too much to handle, they didn't stop. Their shoes left footprints in the soaked and sinking ground.

The pressure of the air grew at a rapid pace.

The three couples' chests felt uncomfortable to the point of being stifled. Finally, they arrived at the origin of the blue fire.

Surrounded by the thick depths of blue fire... was a cave.

Of course! Caves were known for resisting and immunizing heat. Which meant... anyone nearby could hide inside a cave and wait for the fire to extinguish!

Wei Wuxian gestured to the group. Everyone understood from the look in his eyes.

In the woods, there was only the sound of a roaring fire.