17: Truth

I shook my head and yanked my hands out of his grip.

"I don't trust you. I never did" I said.

I felt completely numb inside.

"Y/n please, let me explain" he said.

"Leave me alone" I said. "I know how you might feel right now-" he started but I cut him off. "You don't know what I've been through!" I yelled at him. "You don't know my pain" I said with tears in my eyes. "I do" he said back. "You don't" my voice cracked. "You will never understand my feelings" I said.

"So please" I whispered. "Stay away from me" I added.

I turned around to walk away but I felt his hand wrap around my wrist.

I turned around, ready to scold him.

To my surprise, he had an expression on his face that I hadn't seen before

"You think I don't know?" he asked as his grip around my wrist tightened. "You think I don't feel your pain?" he asked, the tone in his voice being rather aggressive.

I looked at him in shock.

"The faint sound of the dangling keys when the guards finally left" he said. My eyes widened. "No food or sleep" he said. "The work you had to do outside as soon as the sun had risen until late at night" he said. "Not caring whether it was freezing outside, the work had to be done" he said. "All they did was abuse you as punishment for your behavior" he said and held up his arm, revealing a scar.

I was at a loss for words. All this time, he had been carrying this weight on his shoulder without ever telling me or mentioning something about it.

"Don't you ever tell me that I don't know how it feels!" he yelled at me and backed me up against the wall. "Cause you have no idea" he added.

His breathing was heavy. Our eyes were gazing into each other.

"Who do you think left your door open?" he then asked.

My eyes widened.

"Don't tell me.." I started but the look on his face said enough.

All I could do was cry. I didn't know why. Was I sad? Angry? Frustrated? At this moment, I didn't understand my own emotions.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I choked out.

"Why?" I asked frustrated. I started sobbing in his chest. To my surprise, he slowly wrapped his arms around me.

The more I thought about it, the more I had to cry.

I pulled away and wiped the tears off my face. "Why did you help me?" I asked. He looked away. "We talked once" he said.

"Your hair color is so unique"
"Thank you, I was born with it"
The boy in front of me seemed so sweet and caring. I wondered if we could be friends.
"It reminds me of a carrot" I said.
We both laughed.
"It suits you" I smiled.
"What did I say!" one of the guards yelled. I quickly grabbed my stuff and continued to work.

"If you could have one wish, what would it be?" he asked me.

"To be free. We could meet and hang out together. I want to become friends"

"Will I see you again?" he asked.
"Next time we see each other, we will be free" I smiled at him.

The sudden realisation triggered my emotions. I never realised that the little boy I met back then was Chuuya.

"You remembered me" I said.

He stayed quiet.

"I wanted to make your dream come true" he then said. "I wanted to meet you and become friends just like you said" he added.

I could feel his heart beat against mine.

"You really saved me" I said.

He shook his head. "I didn't" he said.

"I always had a feeling of guilt" he said. I gave him a confused look. "If I had saved you earlier, you wouldn't be the person you are today" he said. "It hurt me when I saw you like that in that abandoned basement. You were alone, scared, hungry, neglected" he said.

I was taken by surprise as I saw tears forming in his eyes. "Please don't" I softly said and wiped a tear off his face. "Why would you blame yourself for how I turned out?" I asked. "You're the only one who has helped me so far" I pointed out.

He pushed my hands away and took a step back.

"Selfish isn't it?" he asked.