Chapter Thirty-One

Rylie ~ Present

I know through Rachel that Maxwell leaves for Charlotte today. It's been almost a month since I last saw him.

The pieces in my mind fit together better now, and I guess I do see why he did what he did. I don't agree with how he went about it, but everyone makes mistakes when they're young.

It's almost eight PM, and I've been pacing my apartment for hours trying to figure what I'm going to do.

I'm not ready to fully commit to him again, especially since we're about to be hours away from each other and busy with our own lives.

Since posting the pictures of his apartment to my social media, I've booked several clients. Their projects alone will take me through autumn and into winter.

I stop pacing and grab my keys, rushing out the door. I might not be ready to jump right back into things, but one thing is for sure, I still have feelings for him.

On the drive to his apartment, I quiet my mind. I need to see him, and don't want to talk myself out of it.

I still have the key he gave me, but I don't want to intrude without him knowing. I knock on the door and wait.

A million scenarios run through my mind before I finally hear his footsteps.

When he opens the door, we just stare at each other for a moment.

He's in gray sweats that hang low on his waist and no shirt. His hair looks damp, like he showered not long ago.

"Rylie?" Maxwell finally says, snapping me out of my trance.

"Hey." I rush, embarrassment heating my cheeks. "Um, I just wanted to say bye... because you leave tomorrow." Why am I nervous? Of course, he knows he leaves tomorrow I didn't have to say that.

"Okay." He smirks a little. "Bye, Rylie."

"A-are you packing up the apartment?"

"Nah, I'm going to keep it. Actually, you're welcome to stay here whenever you like. It'll be empty unless I'm in town. Just keep that key."

"Oh, thanks." I look down at my sandals. Maxwell and I were never awkward. Why is this so weird? "Well, I... I guess I'll go. Have safe travels and all. I hope you like Charlotte."

"Thank you."

We stand there, not saying anything, letting the goodbye hang between us. I don't make an attempt to walk away and he doesn't try to close the door. My eyes meet his. Their rich brown color looks a bit darker than usual.

Unsure what I'm doing, I take a tiny step closer.

He doesn't move, but I watch his chest rise and fall with a deep breath.

I feel my own body reacting to our closeness. Heat pools in my stomach, building pressure at my core. My senses are all on high alert and I should be telling myself this is a bad idea, but it's been so long.

It's been years since his hands have been on me and in this moment, I can't think of anything I want more. Forget everything else. I want him.

"Maxwell..." I practically whimper, hoping my desire doesn't sound too needy.

"What is it?" He already knows. I can tell he's thinking what I'm thinking because of the huskiness in his voice.

I open my mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. Maxwell tilts his head, looking down at me. His face unreadable as he reaches for my face. His thumb trails across my lips, causing my mouth to fall back closed. I sigh at the contact, needing more of it everywhere.