Chapter Twenty-Four

Rylie ~ Four and a half years ago 

I step into my gown. Its emerald green lace hugs my body tightly at my waist then flares out. The gown is strapless and falls to the floor. Underneath I'm wearing silver heels.

My hair is pulled back with tiny braids on the sides, pulled into a large bun twisted to look way more elegant than anything I could've ever done on my own.

"Wow. You look incredible. My brother might have a hard time keeping his hands off you."

Little does she know; I think to myself.

"You're the one who looks amazing." I gesture to Rachel's big, puffy, all sequined dress.

Tonight is the prom. Somehow, Maxwell and I finessed our way into convincing everybody we're going as friends. I'm not sure how we pulled it off, considering every straight female in the school was pining over him in a not-so-indiscreet way.

I think Rachel may suspect something, but she hasn't mentioned it to me yet. The Rossi's are clueless, and think it's "so sweet" that Maxwell is taking me to his senior prom.

He's been incredibly busy. He's a star in this town now. Everyone is hyping him up, especially since he signed to play his freshman year at Duke. I couldn't be prouder, but I have to admit, I am already a little anxious for him to be six hours away.

That's why I'm glad we have tonight. Even though everyone else thinks we're just friends, he and I get to dance the night away together. I can't wait to be in public with him.

I have never loved it when men say they're going to show off their women. It's derogatory. But the thought of being shown off by Maxwell tonight gives me butterflies. I want the world to know what he means to me, but they can't yet. So, I'll settle for every girl at the dance shooting me eye daggers all evening.

The doorbell rings and Rachel squeals, knowing it's going to be Jerrod. After she bolts out of the room, I take one more look at myself in the mirror. My makeup and hair were done by Rachel's aunt, and she did a fantastic job.

"Ryles..." I turn my head to see Maxwell standing in the doorway. My stomach does a somersault. His unruly waves are slicked back, and he's in a fitted all-black tux. "You look so damn pretty. You're gorgeous."

I can't help my cheesy smile as he walks towards me. The way he's eyeing me up and down has me wanting to take the dress off already and hop into bed with him.

"You look really handsome." I tilt my head up to him when his arms wrap around my waist.

"I don't know how I'm supposed to act like we're just friends tonight."

"Me either."

"I want everyone to know you're my girl."

"Well, we know. That's all that matters, right?"

"Yeah." He shoots me a boyish smile and leans in to kiss me. "I love you."

"I love you."

I feel giddy. Tonight is going to be one of the best nights of my life; it's already making it's way to the top of the list.

We walk down the stairs one after the other, and run into his crying mother.

"My two babies!" She cries, "All grown up."

I stand back as she makes Rachel and Max pose together, then as she and Mr. Rossi snap at least a hundred pictures of Rachel and Jerrod.

"Do you two want a few?"

"Yes." I say, a little too quickly, but thankfully no one seems to notice.

Maxwell and I stand awkwardly as a few pictures of us get snapped.