Arc 4: Chapter 42: Adventurer's Guild

Another dream... but a little different. The voice, the scene... it didn't seem quite like a memory returning to him, but rather a message from some ancient creature. It didn't make it any less scarier. Zhongli woke up, eyes wide and his forehead beaded with sweat. He instinctively thought about Childe but he remembered that he had left the previous night.

He pushed his fringe to the back and ran his fingers through his untied hair. Zhongli was already somewhat attached to the man and he did not know whether it was a good thing. No one else had kept coming to find him, like Childe was his only friend outside of work. Zhongli could understand why people didn't really like him or found him weird. He definitely wasn't the sociable type either so he wouldn't automatically talk to someone. It was what made Tartaglia different. The faint power he radiated was a little abnormal but he was the only person that actually seemed to stick around. Even the adepti that worked for him just went around doing their jobs.

Without Childe around, his mind returned back to the dream he just had. It called out to him, whatever it was in his dream. Just his name. Zhongli felt compelled to find this thing for some reasons and that was exactly what he was going to do.

Zhongli got himself ready, putting on his usual outfit before heading out to the Adventurer's Guild. If anyone had information, it would be them.

He got distracted a couple times by pretty things Liyue merchants were selling but he managed to snap himself out of it. Childe wasn't around to help him buy it and he had forgotten about mora again.

When he finally got around to the Adventurer's Guild, he spotted Tartaglia talking to one of the fellow adventurers. The orange head visibly brightened up when he spotted Zhongli and almost immediately ditched the person he was talking to.

"Zhongli! What are you doing here?" Tartaglia asked, skipping over to him. The person he was talking to looked a little bummed out that Childe just left him hanging like that.

"Ah, A—"

"Yes, yes." Childe quickly cut in, giving him a sheepish smile that told Zhongli something was off.

"Uhm, Aiden, so you were talking about the Primo Geovishap...?" The adventurer asked, trying to be polite but also pull Childe back into their conversation. Zhongli also found out what was wrong.

"Oh yes..." Childe glanced back at Zhongli, giving him an I-will-explain-later look. "Just make sure you have someone with a geo vision to give you a shield. The geovishap will have some sort of element and you'd be able to tell from the color. Best to have the counter to the element. Oh right, don't take too long to run if you think you can't beat it."

"Oh..."

"The Primo Geovishap would have a move where it starts absorbing power before releasing it. If you have a strong shield, stand your ground and you'd be able to deal large damage. Without a shield, it's best to get as far as you can." Zhongli chipped in. He figured he'd share the information he had if it would help someone survive a fight.

"Yes, yes, ah, that's all. I need to go now, let's go, Zhongli." Tartaglia said, grabbing Zhongli and trying to pull him away. The adventurer didn't stop him and Zhongli let himself get pulled away.

-

"I... suppose you want to know what's up?" Tartaglia asked, peeking at Zhongli.

"Yes." He was wondering which identity was real.

"I, uh, go by a different name outside because of some... issues. The name's Aiden, so, yeah. It's mostly just the Adventurers Guild that uses that name though. I don't have many friends around here." Tartaglia explained, hoping that Zhongli wouldn't ask what the issues were. There were quite a few and none of them would leave a good impression on Zhongli. "Ah, Ajax is really my real name, I promise."

"Then why did you give me your real name?" Zhongli asked, tilting his head slightly.

"Ah? Well, I don't know. I mean, I've known you for a while and I've told you my name before." Tartaglia shrugged. "So it'd feel weird if you called me by anything but my real name."

"I see."

Childe decided he'd switch the topic. It was a little dangerous for them to be talking about that and he really didn't want to make Zhongli think he was a bad guy or something. "Why did you go to the Adventurer's Guild?"

"Oh, right. I just wanted to ask around for any information on anything odd happening in Liyue."

"Can't you do that with your power?"

Zhongli shook his head and sighed softly, looking rather disappointed. "My power is not strong enough for that yet. I cannot cover the entirety of Liyue."

Childe gently patted his back, "don't worry, you'll get powerful enough soon. Maybe I can help you get some information as an unofficial member of the Adventurer's Guild. Can I ask why?"

"I believe something powerful is holding back my memory and my powers back. I want to get it back." Zhongli explained, frowning as he tried to search his memory for anything that might be able to do it. The energy he felt in that dream... it didn't feel like Osial. "It'll be dangerous but I need to do it."

"Can I come with you?"

Zhongli seemed a little surprised by the offer. "You want to come with me?"

"Yeah. To help out and all, you know." Childe said eagerly. He dearly missed the time they spent going on adventures together. Plus he could potentially spark something along the way.

Zhongli felt an odd sense of relief and warmth. It made him oddly happy that Tartaglia was offering to come with him. "If that's what you wish. But under the condition that you'll promise me if there's ever a need to, please run."

"But—"

Zhongli stopped, turning to face Childe. His expression was serious and his tone was firm. "I don't want you to get hurt. Like I said, it'll be dangerous. Promise me."

Tartaglia bit his bottom lip, reluctant to make the promise. He didn't want to have to leave Zhongli if it actually happened. Not after what happened last time.

"If not then do not come with me." Zhongli started walking again

"Fine, fine, fine. I promise!" Tartaglia quickly said, quickly catching up. But he knew that it was a promise he probably wouldn't be able to keep and he was ready for the consequences.