Arc 3: Chapter 35: Ritual

"Tartaglia, let me help you."

"No." Childe made a feeble attempt to move away. "Don't. I don't need it."

"You're really hurt—"

"I DON'T CARE."

"Ta—"

"Why won't you hate me? Why can't you hate me? I spiked your drink to get what I want. I said so many things. I've done so many bad things to you, why aren't you angry? Why are you still helping me? Can't you just stop it? Can't you make it easier for me to forget you? To stop thinking about you? Why, Zhongli, why? Why can't you hate me like a normal person? Why can't you stay away from me? Now both of us are going to die. It was supposed to just be me! If you just moved on, you'd be able to live and I wouldn't have to feel bad that I dragged you into all this! I didn't break your heart and mine to let you come and die with me, okay?" Childe asked weakly, yet his tone made him sound extremely frustrated and upset. He looked sadly and guiltily at Zhongli.

"... I can't hate you Ajax." Zhongli said quietly, sounding just as sad as Childe. "I just love you. No matter what you've done. I know you have your reasons. I only wish that you could share it with me."

Tartaglia looked away from Zhongli, his expression miserable. Zhongli moved over again gently wiping away the blood from his face. Scaramouche had not been gentle on Childe. There were wounds all over his body.

"I don't care what it is, I will stand by your side and try to help you. Believe me. There has to be another way for everything." Zhongli said quietly. There really wasn't much he could do apart from try to clean his wound and wipe away the blood. "Can you tell me what's going on now?"

"Core of Durin. Tsaritsa wants it. She asked me to find it for her. I guess there was a change of plans. Scaramouche found out things. The core was sealed by something. It needs blood sacrifice at a certain timing and day and ritual to unlock the seal..." Tartaglia trailed off, hesitant to continue. He didn't know what Zhongli would do if he knew.

"And?" Zhongli pressed on.

Childe looked away, refusing to meet eye contact. Zhongli already knew.

"They are going to use you, aren't they?"

Childe just stared at the floor sadly.

As expected, Zhongli said, "I'm not going to let that happen. Let's try to get out of here."

Zhongli tried to use the brute force method to break out because it seemed like the only method they had. They were left with nothing to pick the locks with and there was no way they were slipping through the bars. He tried slamming against the bars but the magic infused mechanical metal wouldn't budge.

"Zhongli just... stop. You're going to break before it does." Childe said weakly. He spoke a little louder and clearer as he regained some strength from resting.

Zhongli looked at Tartaglia and could tell from his helpless look that he was being honest. Sighing softly, he sat down next to Tartaglia. If they couldn't bust out of there, they could do the next best thing, get out of the chains. How the Fatui managed to tie chains up so tight was a big mystery but they managed to eventually work it out. With their arms and legs free, it was easier to move.

"Zhongli, I'm sorry." Childe finally said softly. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry for everything I've done. I tried to handle everything myself. I tried to protect you. But we're here. I'm sorry..."

His lowered his head and his shoulders shook slightly as tears fell uncontrollably.

Zhongli didn't say much and just went over, hugging him tightly. He shook his head, "it's okay. It's fine." He said soothingly, gently stroking the back of Tartaglia's head.

Childe didn't resist. He hugged back even tighter, burying his head against Zhongli's shoulder. He curled up in his arms, finding some comfort from the warmth. There was nothing to lose anymore, they were both going to die. He was just so upset that he only realized that he couldn't do everything alone and now it was too late. "I don't deserve you..."

-

"It's getting late..." Childe muttered grimly. It was exhausting to cry out everything but at least a little bit better now. At least now he could comfortably hug Zhongli without having to think about what might go wrong.

"... what is it?"

"It's almost time. The time that he needs. He said something about the moon. "

Tartaglia didn't need to elaborate for Zhongli to know what he meant. His arms tightened around him. He was still very unwilling to let it happen. He wasn't willing to let Tartaglia die. And... he made up his mind.

"Ajax."

"Hm?"

"I love you..." Zhongli said quietly, gently pressing his lips against Childe's. He needed to do that, just one last time. Tartaglia kissed back, his eyes fluttering to a close. He missed the taste of Zhongli's lips too. "Please live on happily."

"What?" Tartaglia frowned as he pulled away. "Don't you dare—"

Zhongli hit a pressure point and Tartaglia's vision went dark. All he could do was weakly tug Zhongli's sleeve before falling limp against him. Zhongli closed his eyes and took deep breaths, having to knock Childe out like that made his heart break. He clutched onto Tartaglia's hand tightly. "Forgive me."

Soon enough, Scaramouche and gang arrived. They tried to take Tartaglia but Zhongli refused. He kept fighting even after Scaramouche blasted him with electricity.

"Will you just STOP?" Scaramouche screamed at him, scowling at Zhongli who was protecting Tartaglia behind him.

"No. I won't. But, I can offer you a deal. A contract."

"Shut up you fool. I don't need anything you can offer!" Scaramouche sent another blast of electricity but Zhongli stood his ground.

"I know what you need. I know the timing is important. I offer you this. Use me instead. But you have to let Tartaglia go."

Scaramouche glowered at Zhongli. He was indeed right. The time was important, there was only a short period of time this ritual could be carried out successfully. Besides, there wouldn't be a difference. Once the man was converted, he could do whatever he pleased to the orange head. It wasn't like anyone could do anything about it.

"Fine." A contract was made. Zhongli knew very well that if  Scaramouche went against his word, something would come for him. The world would make sure of it. Even if it didn't, Zhongli would personally rise from the dead to torment him.

The fatui chained him up again and placed him on his knees under the moonlight. All forms of light were put out and Zhongli couldn't see anything in the dark. A soft chanting in an ancient language he barely recognized grew louder. The ritual was beginning. Zhongli tugged at the chains in an attempt to break it but as expected, it was futile. Sighing quietly, he knelt there, motionless, waiting quietly and helplessly for what was going to happen.

The snow was stained crimson red with blood.

😍😍🥰 suffer 🥰😍🥰😍❤️